1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great Southwest Blackout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Millions without power in San Diego, parts of Arizona and Mexico.

http://gizmodo.com/5838584/millions-in-california-arizona-and-mexico-without-power

Luckily, JayFarrar is vacationing there right now so he can provide updates.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would call bullshit to anything the power company or the government tells the people right now.

There should be a ton of redundancy in the power system. One line going to shit should not cause this. When your lights flicker during a storm, that is the power company redirecting power to your house.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've read before the nation's electrical grid is stretched too thin and is way too old. So this doesn't shock me that much.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, power companies are taking cash to the shareholders instead of reinvesting more into the infrastructure, which is what they need to be doing.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Didn't one line cause the big blackout in the Great Lakes and Eastern US in 2003?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

One station in Cleveland I think.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

From wikipedia, which is never wrong:

"According to the New York Independent System Operator (or NYISO) – the ISO responsible for managing the New York state power grid – a 3,500 MW power surge (towards Ontario) affected the transmission grid at 4:10:39 p.m. EDT.[4] From then through about 4:40 p.m. EDT, outages were reported in Cleveland, Akron, Toledo, New York City, Westchester, Orange and Rockland, Baltimore, Buffalo, Rochester, Binghamton, Albany, Detroit, and parts of New Jersey, including the city of Newark. This was followed by other areas initially unaffected, including all of New York City, portions of southern New York state, New Jersey, Vermont, Connecticut, and most of Ontario, Canada.[5] Eventually a large, somewhat triangular area bounded by Lansing, Michigan, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, the shore of James Bay, Ottawa, New York, and Toledo was left without power. According to the official analysis of the blackout prepared by the US and Canadian governments, more than 508 generating units at 265 power plants shut down during the outage. In the minutes before the event, the NYISO-managed power system was carrying 28,700 MW of load. At the height of the outage, the load had dropped to 5,716 MW, a loss of 80%.[4]"

Draft saved Draft deleted