1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great Musical Sellout Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Queen's Hot Space deserves a mention too. In the mid-70s, I doubt many could've seen Freddie and Co. go in THAT direction.

2. God, what a wretched album.

Don't forget "I Was Made For Lovin' You" by Kiss. Of course, some say everything they've done has been a sellout.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does 'Radio Ga Ga' count as selling out or just sucking?

People formerly associated with Jefferson Airplance being associated with 'We Built This City' counts as both selling out and sucking.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think that getting a chance to hear a song you like more often and have it exposed to more people would be something you would like to have happen with the artist. Besides which, some of the most clever stuff is being done in commercials, so I don't think a song being sold for them is necessarily an artistically bankrupt enterprise.

And Grace Slick would be the only link between the two. Unless Chaquico was in at the tail end of Airplane.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Kiss could never sellout because they were always a money-grabbing gimmick. But an entertaining one.

6. dooley_womack1

Some more sellout examples:
    --The Village People changing from their gay fantasy figures look to an Adam and the Ants-type look in the early 1980s.
    --Alice Cooper trying cheezy ballads (You and Me, How You Gonna See Me Now) in the mid-1970s.
    --The Karen Carpenter disco-flavored album she made in 1979 that wasn't released until 1996.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's next? Alvin and the Chipmunks for doing a Christmas special?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That last is probably my bad. For some reason, I thought Kantner was need deep in that hoopla, too.

10. dooley_womack1

This thread is now worthless with that picture.

11. dooley_womack1

Any artist or group, except for those with an atheist or Satanic theme, are allowed to do Christmas music.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I saw Neil Diamond on a Christmas tour.

Draft saved Draft deleted