1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great Murdoch iPad Debate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by derwood, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Wired did a piece that explored the "death" of the Web a few months back: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/08/ff_webrip/

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That's the entry point for news-gathering organizations to charge for content. People are conditioned to get most Internet sites for free. However, they're also being conditioned to pay for apps. I don't know if they're willing to shell out $40 a year consistently (witness how the price point for iPhone apps settled to 99 cents for most apps after starting higher), but you've got a better chance there.

Of course, you're still dealing with multiple platforms (iPhone/iPad, Blackberry, Android, WM7, Palm) that it's going to be a bit of a hassle getting a working app for all of them.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Rupert Murdoch knows how to make money, but it hasn't been in newspapers. His papers lose money. A lot of money by most people's standards. But he keeps them around, partially for vanity reasons, I think, and also because I think he tries to use them to influence government policy to benefit his overall empire.

I'd bet this thing doesn't make money--it just doesn't smell like a winner to me. But I have been wrong about things like this. I guess time will tell. And even if it is a money loser, if it gives Murdoch some other kind of utility, he has a lot of money to absorb a loss.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

i understand the skepticism here by trained-to-be-cynical journos embittered by the disintegration of newspapers, always our primary source of employment.

cynicism aside, though, there isn't a soul among us who should be doing anything but cheering on 'the daily.' i have a couple of friends pouring their heart and soul into this 'experiment,' which can do nothing but benefit all of us if it's successful.

i'm surely no fan of the style of journalism murdoch's ventures produce, for the most part, but he's a godsend to the immediate future of our ever-changing industry. you go, 'the daily.'

5. Journalist21

Journalist21 Member

I hope this works as well. In an age where newspapers are giving way to online ventures, any successful venture is good news. Yes, I'm not a big fan of Murdoch's news. Still, I hope "The Daily" works out and remains non-partisan (unlike FOX News).

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://thedailyindexed.tumblr.com/

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't see the purpose of paid news app that only updates once a day. I doubt the content will be better than what you can get for free.

8. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Poynter was tripping over themselves the other day to "cover" the launch. So I check it out, and head to the "about us" page.

A bunch of old white guys, the token woman and an Asian guy handling tech stuff.

Wake me up when something new happens in this industry.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Most journalists would rather lose their jobs and whine for the next two decades about how their life sucks than see Rupert Murdoch do anything positive for the industry they supposedly love. Priorities.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If you were in charge of hiring, would you refuse to hire Asians for "tech stuff" in the name of diversity?

11. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

No, I wouldn't refuse, but you can't ignore their online masthead is the definition of a stereotype.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Folks: Hold up, hold up.

So I go to The Daily index posted by derwood. The front page of The Daily teases, "Giffords' Touching Video." (Average reader might think The Daily has scored some video of her rehab - but we know better, don't we?)

Turns out the "video"-- and I use that term loosely because the piece makes a PBS story look like a belles-and-whistles production extravaganza-- the "video" is material The Daily got a couple of weeks before the shooting.

And if you click the "video" (God, please don't), Giffords' first sound bite is about how she loves her iPad.

The "news story" which accompanies it is worse:

So this is their "news." Best and brightest in journalism.

You're fucking kidding me, right?

----------------

So everybody, let's get this straight, ok?

Fox News Chanel is to the Republican Party as The Daily is to Apple, Inc.

Got it?

Draft saved Draft deleted