1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The great Bleacher Report site to be bought for 200 million!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Jun 21, 2012.

1. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm baffled that anyone (and this includes AOL when it bought HuffPo) expects these enterprises to make money long-term.

But good for Bleacher Report, I guess.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

doodah?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nah, doodah isn't a "blogger." He has a real job in the business now.

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I think you're being a little unfair to teeny-bopper artists comparing them to BR...

5. Starting17

Starting17 Member

One thing I've always wondered about B/R, do they even have/receive credentials for anything? I'm not talking about a one-time thing here I'm saying does any B/R writer ever get credentialed for a full season?

6. nate41

nate41 Member

The dingy loveseat in your parent's basement isn't a real stickler for credential requirements.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The problem with most BR writers is they think they should be covering pros and are good enough to cover pros so that's what they write about. They're the guys who occasionally freelance for a local rag and when it's time to ask a question, they clam up, sit back and let the real reporters do work.
    Nobody wants to work their way up anymore. Everyone expects to go from college to being a major beat reporter. Some get to - and they're the ones who the BR could never in a million years afford to pay.
    Do I get frustrated reading some of the crap these people write? Yes. What frustrates me even more is when journalists I respect decide they want to have a blog and would rather write mindless drivel based on other people's opinions than improve their own work.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A friend once had something published on BR. He was so proud of himself, too. And then he realized how awful that site actually is.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Bingo. We hired a part-timer a few years ago who wanted to cover big-time stuff. He actually asked to go across the country to cover the Stanley Cup Finals because a local guy was playing. (Never mind the fact that we had a former NHL beat writer on the staff.) When he got hired, he says to me "I'll cover volleyball if they want me to." I had to tell him that's exactly what he would start out covering. Except he wasn't even good enough to do that. He got fired and now he's a big-shot "contributor" on Yahoo make pennies for ripping off other people's stuff and passing it off as his own. He thinks aggregating is journalism.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What an idiot. Most of the folks here are working journalists, many of whom have years of experience. Doubt there are a lot of people on this site clamoring to work for B/R. Might be a good steppingstone for a good young writer to get his/her feet wet, but I doubt that anyone sees it as a destination job. Especially considering what they pay most of their writers.

11. Starting17

Starting17 Member

Gonna take that as a no they don't have credentials. I didn't think so and wouldn't really believe it if they did.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Any chance his name is Chris?

Draft saved Draft deleted