1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The GRE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anybody taken this test recently?
    What's the best study guide?
    Can I wing it 32 years removed from college and still do OK?

No idea if I'll actually try to go back to school at this point but it is an option I want in my pocket so I suppose I need to suck it up and tackle the GRE.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Go get 'em, Dr. Moddy.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ugh. Thanks for reminding me that I eventually have to return to school.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No problem. Just don't wait 100 years like my old ass.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

My wife took this a couple of years ago. I would definitely recommend a study guide.

I don't know any specific title, but the usual suspects are likely the best. Not sure you can go wrong with any of the big titles in the bookstore.

But yeah, you don't want to just go in and wing it.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just get the Cliff's Notes to the sutdy guide.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

What Junkie says is true, but like other standardized tests, just missing a few questions can put you down a percentile or two, and that could be crucial. So it pays to get familiar with what you'll be doing.

8. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

The only thing I can say that the GRE employs vocabulary that I didn't use, and never would have coming out of the news business.

That said, study guides give you pretty good methods to fudge it. Definitely worth your time.

You could probably wing the math, legitimately. At the time, my years in an SID office made me pretty good at mental math and prepared me well for the GRE's math portion, which is middle school level.

9. taller hack

taller hack Member

I used the Kaplan study book, made vocabulary note cards, took practice tests repeatedly and did a great number of practice problems, and I scored the exact same thing I did when I took the SAT. That's what I'd recommend.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Anyone who's made a living with words should have no problem with that section, though it is questionable whether knowing the meaning of 'dilettante' measures advanced critical thinking ability. The thing about this test is that it does have a way (mournfully) of making you feel really fucking dumb if you have superior language skills, as many here would have. I couldn't recall anything meaningful from high school geometry with a blade at my throat.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Active Member

I picked up the Princeton review when I was considering grad school at this time last year. It seemed pretty helpful and it teaches you how to take the test. Its really not a way to determine how smart you are, its just a stupid system that the test makers put together. Never did take it because I couldnt' afford the $20 grand for school.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Moddy, anyone with average smarts should do fine.

Have you considered truck driving school?

Draft saved Draft deleted