1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The grass isn't much greener on the other side

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Magnum, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Magnum

Magnum Member

I'm looking for a new career because of all the layoffs and buyouts.

I've been lucky enough to get some calls back from a couple of the publishing and PR jobs I've applied for, but they all start and end the same way: "We can only pay XX. Do you still want to know about the job?"

Today's phone call was from a state government position. The advertised price range went up to like $70,000 but because of the crappy economy they could only pay half that - no negotiating. I'm not sure why they called. I gave them a minimum salary requirement that was well above what they were offering.

Another job wanted to pay me less than I make now but give me commission as merit pay. Thanks but no thanks.

Looks like I'll stay in journalism as long as they'll have me.
  2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

For those of us who were victims of recent layoffs, this is, umm, less than encouraging.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm figuring I'll hang in this business while they'll have me, but there's a part of me that would welcome some sort of professional change.
  4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is where I stand, I think. Hear too many horror stories from outside journalism to think the grass is that much greener, at least at this point in time.

The Titanic has sunk, and we're all clamoring for lifeboats. Doesn't matter what industry anymore. A lot of people are hurting.
  5. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, there is much less leeway in negotiating salary than there used to be.

As much as we, as journalists, discuss and bemoan this, it is worth keeping in mind that other industries are experiencing the same things. I know people in real estate, banking, hospitality and retail who have either lost jobs or taken substantial pay cuts in the past year. In fact, one even asked me about getting into journalism (I told her the truth). We're all in this boat together.
Draft saved Draft deleted