1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Grammys -- Album of the Year

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dignan, Jan 8, 2008.

?

Who ya got?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2008.
  1. "Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace" (Foo Fighters)

40.0%
  2. "These Days" (Vince Gill)

8.0%
  3. "River: The Joni Letters" (Herbie Hancock)

8.0%
  4. "Graduation" (Kanye West)

24.0%
  5. "Back to Black" (Amy Winehouse)

20.0%
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I voted for Amy Winehouse, posthumously.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good one.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Even by Grammy standards it's a pretty uninspiring list.

I voted for "These Days" by Vince Gill, largely because it's just a hell of an accomplishment -- it's a 4 cd set of new material in a variety of styles. I'm not a big country fan, by and large, but he's really good.

Foo Fighters? Really like the band, but I don't think it's close to being their best work. I think they're here to fill the "rock" quota, since there aren't any dinosaurs to nominate this year.

Amy Winehouse? It's a good album, but I'll repeat my rant from a previous thread -- she gets the attention she gets because she's a White British junkie in a Ronnie Spector Halloween wig who sounds passably like a Black woman. Her success is based largely on being a novelty act. By comparison, the new album by Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings got about 1/1000 of the hype she got (strictly speaking of the music, not for the sideshow). Sharon Jones is a better singer and the Dap-Kings are the band Winehouse borrowed to record her album, but no one's heard of her. But then, Sharon Jones looks like a soul singer, not some Motown-meets-Elvire freak show. Again, I like the Winehouse album, but it's level of acclaim kind of annoys me.

Kanye West? I'm sure it's lovely if you enjoy that sort of thing. I do not.

Herbie Hancock? Haven't heard anything he's done in 20 years. Of course, neither have most of the voters.

My money's on Amy Winehouse. Not a strong year.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That Arcade Fire didn't get nominated is a shame.

5. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I like this album a lot. Statues, Summer's End and Home aren't typical Foo Fighters songs. And The Pretender is their strongest rock song to date, with a political edge to it.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I second that.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Since I couldn't vote for "None of the Above" I voted for Winehouse. It's the type of album that Grammy voters love.

Springsteen should have been nominated, but wasn't.
    Springsteen should have won in '03 when "The Rising" was pitted against Norah Jones and Norah Jones won.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I haven't heard any of these albums. I used to be a big Foo Fighters fan, but everything since "The Colour and the Shape" has been downhill -- even a little bit -- for me.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'll take the Foos. Thought about Hancock, since I love the man's work, but having heard E,S,P&G on CD, and also hearing most of the live tracks in the yahoo music set they did recently, it's the one for me.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'll be like Herbie and Han you a Cock [/akinyele]

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My god, this post is why I adore you so.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

For what it's worth, this cd has a few songs that I really like. As a whole I don't know if it's great, but it's solid. There were a ton of really good cd's this year, unfortunately these aren't them.

Draft saved Draft deleted