1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Graduate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Yeah, but Runaway Jury wasn't.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I think if you take out that trippy, 16mm, sex in a cemetery montage at the end, Easy Rider still holds up. At least the overall premise of it. I never get tired of watching movies that have freedom as the central tenet.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not all of them. Mark Ruffalo and the lovely Ms. Aniston were responsible for a lot of the cringing, too.

4. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I not only loved the movie but married a girl whose maiden name was Robinson. That's right. My mother-in-law is Mrs. Robinson.

She's not as hot as Ms. Ross, but a wonderful woman nonetheless. And she's never tried to seduce me...yet.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The freakin' "Strawberry Statement"!!

Wow, there may be only two of us in all of North America who remember that embarrassing (not at the time, it was, groovy) piece of counter-culture drek.

It's like stumbling across pictures of you and your friends from the early 70's---hair to the shoulders, bell bottoms, flowered shirts.

Good one, Micropolitan Guy.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The reason above is wht many compare The Graduate to Garden State. Many in their mid 20s, when Zach Braff's film came out (me included), respond to that movie on many levels. Very much the same with Braff's recent movie, The Last Kiss, aimed at the early 30s set.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jacking my own thread: C.I., have you seen Daft Punk's video for Da Funk? Main character is a guy wearing a dog head (gotta love Spike Jonze's symbolism) highlighting his trials and tribulations one night in New York City. One of my favorite videos. Every time I see Murphy the Dog it reminds me of that character.

8. Songbird

Funny, but the video has an almost anti-Graduate ending.

Hey, if you have to choose between doggy-style with the ol' familiar girl next door and your music, which would you choose?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Got lots of those (sans the flowered shirts, I wore those Wallace Berry-type long-sleeved shirts with three or four buttons).

But my kid thinks those photos are hilarious. I still think I was pretty damn cool lookin'

How about the "Paralax View" or whatever it was called, with Warren Beatty? Endless LDS-trip-type scene in the middle.

10. Songbird

Paralax View was trippy and I wasn't even trippin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted