1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The good news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by STLIrish, Jun 25, 2008.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

So, in light of the growing pool of blood at the feet of newspapers, I've spent the last half-hour re-tooling my resume for a non-journalism job, just in case. First time in years I've done that, or done much active thinking about how what I do might translate into other fields.

It was a bit inspiring, actually, because it turns out this business gives you some fucking skills.

How many jobs out there teach you how to find, analyze and engagingly explain complex information in a matter of hours (minutes, sometimes), on wildly different subjects, every day? How many teach you how to connect with people from literally every walk of life, from the streets to the CEOs, and get them to open up? Do many so often force you into competition where you have to do the same thing as someone else, just different and better?

It was nice to think about, that maybe there are options out there. I've never wanted to be anything but a newspaper writer, and I still don't. But if it should become necessary to try another path, it's nice to know I've learned something along the way. Maybe it'll help.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Thank you. This does actually have me inspired - you know, because I've never put together a resume for a non-newspaper job, and I'm thrilled that all that corporate-speak is inherent in our skills. Hooray!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you go into PR or advertising or teaching, people are impressed with the skills we have.

If you do something else, not so much...

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

PR, advertising, teaching ... software, technical writing, researcher ... photographer, graphic designer ... any organization that produces lots of documentation always needs editors ... the list is longer than you'd think.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Publishing falls into that category as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted