1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Golden State Killer (non-NBA edition)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 25, 2018.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And now he’s Meredith Salenger’s husband.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Sorry about that. I thought of that after I posted, but didn't do anything about it.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That’s sweet and all for him to say, but he is the name that people recognize.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone here read the book? I'm thinking about adding it to my nightstand, which is about to fall over from the weight of books that I'm thinking about reading.

6. The book is fiction or true crime?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

True crime.

But did she ever identify this guy, at least in her own notes if not in the book? I can’t tell from the articles.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

No.

I think my favorite true crime book that has the authors naming the likely suspect is The Monster of Florence. Similar in that it's a serial killer who was around forever. The difference being in that one the authorities actually arrested and charged several people over the decades with being the killer, except none of them were.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I stumbled across the book "Strange Piece of Paradise" by Terri Jentz in a used book store a few years ago. In 1977 she and a friend were cycling across the US together when they were attacked by someone who first ran over their tent with his truck and then attacked with an ax. She and the friend survived (the friend very badly wounded) and the case was never solved. The book is her story 30 years later about retracing her steps and investigating for herself. While nobody was charged with the crime she lays out a very reasonable case for who the assailant was. Really gripping story.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I just added that to my list, HC. I got Michelle McNamara's book from the library shortly after it came out but didn't read it because everything I saw about it - reviews, comments on Twitter - talked about how terrifying it was. I live alone and get scared every time I hear a weird noise so I was too afraid. Now I'm sorry I didn't because it would have been cool to before the guy got caught.

HC and lakefront like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

SacBee story, confirmed by authorities, is that they caught the guy when they started using the DNA samples in genealogy Websites looking for similarities in the evidence at the various crime scenes. Like a real CSI that took years. Reality always beats fiction and covers the spread.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

McNamara's book is really good. Reading it late at night, I did find myself noticing every little noise outside my house. Spooky.

Monster of Florence is also really good.

Draft saved Draft deleted