1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The girl in the window

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Mods, don't know whether this is for journalism or another board, but this is a MUST-read:

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2008/reports/danielle/

It's a story about a girl who was the victim of about the worst neglect you could ever believe. Alternately inspiring and infuriating, and guaranteed not to leave you with a dry eye or a clear mind.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Wow. I'm speechless.

3. Thanks for posting, Bob.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great read.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I echo the previous posts but add that her birth mother should have gotten the chair.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Yeah, I can't believe she got out of any prison time by signing over the daughter.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, that was quite the jarring read.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Stunning.

Incredible work. THIS is what newspapers are supposed to do.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The whole multi-media presentation was grade-A.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Exactly.

It's thorough. It's well done. It's got every element (the written word, spoken word, audio and video). It's as perfect as journalism can get in print and on the web in today's media world.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

To a degree. Stories like this are lightning in a bottle; if you could get one like this once a year, you'd be doing pretty damn good. It's how they handle the less sensational but still controversial pieces that you can judge a good newspaper by.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Actually, good point. I forwarded the link to some people around the office and I said "I'm not sure if the story makes the production seem better than it is. Or, if it's a damn good production no matter the subject matter."

Draft saved Draft deleted