1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Giants distancing themselves from Bonds in every way possible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Damn, I suck.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the Big Mac statue is still outside Busch Stadium. I'm not sure if Highway 40 is still the Mark McGwire Highway, tho.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

To me, it would be the equivalent of the Yankees disavowing all knowledge of The Babe after he was traded to the Braves. Pac Bell, or whatever the hell it's called now, was the park Bonds helped build, and fill. I don't see how there was anything to be gained by the Giants, other than a false sense of decency.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Touche.

But 9-8-98 and 8-7-07 were certainly different circumstances for hero worship, weren't they? Hard to imagine the Giants treating Bonds similar to how the Redbirds treated Big Mac.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

True enough. But for the sake of marking the history of the game, the Giants need to have something

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not that this has anything to do with your point, and it was a far different time in regards to historical preservation, but the Yankees kind of did sweep Babe under the rug after 1934. At least for a few years.

And yes, I agree, Dooley. I guess my point is I understand what they think they're doing, even if it's probably going to backfire on them -- as it should.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you're just learning that now?

8. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

The thing is this: No franchise wants Bonds in the clubhouse anymore, and neither do the players.

Would you?

Too much media distraction and player ego, all while you're trying to focus on the team thing. SI had an item about it a week or two ago. The Giants are getting back to normal now, and don't you think other teams haven't picked up on that aspect. Bonds would sell some tickets, but the clubhouse would be chaos.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Very good story in the Chronicle yesterday about this... granted, there are a few other things going on like the Giants are going to stink to high heaven this year, but ticket sales are actually on the way down.

Guess some people came for the show after all.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems a bit hypocritical to me as well. Besides the Giants I've always felt that the Chronical was even more hypocritical .

While on one hand they were happy to expose Bonds on the other they were happy to promote Bonds quest to break HR record. As time went on I found their "Barry HR Meter" appalling.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

They were reporting on a major story. The "Bonds Chase" was kind of a big deal. The BALCO investigation was also a major story, and other reporters were digging up that story.

Nothing hypocritical about their coverage at all. There were two separate stories going on.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Reporting it was fine but using Bonds HR quest to promote sale of paper was hypocritical.

Draft saved Draft deleted