1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Giants distancing themselves from Bonds in every way possible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 28, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3315212&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

They've removed all the signs and all the references to his accomplishments that were around the ballpark. The GM made a point of saying they don't want him back, even at a reduced price. They can't backtrack away from this guy fast enough... Seems a bit hypocritical to my sense of right and wrong. They were happy to ride him for ticket sales when the heat wasn't as great as it is now. I don't expect them to sign him -- it was a two way street. They paid him a lot of money for his services. But to now act like he never existed ignores how much they celebrated him as recently as last season.

In any case, though, could a man become more of a pariah than he has? Sometimes people really do reap what they sow.

2. creamora wonders why his head just exploded

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ingrates.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Probably from all the steroids.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Truthfully, the Giants are setting a new standard for hypocrisy here.

They raked in every last dollar they could on the steroid freak's overinflated head for the past few seaons, now they want to distance themselves from him and purge him from the franchise forever?

Damn, on second thought, they made their money and now they're finally saying "Fuck you, Barry."
    I love it!

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't really see the hypocrisy here.

It was a loveless but profitable, mutually beneficial relationship for many years. Now it's over. I don't keep pictures of my ex-girlfriends on the mantel; why should the Giants?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Every other team with great players finds a way to memorialize them. The Giants are seemingly scrubbing away all existence of Bonds. I loathe Bonds, but Ragu nailed it with his first graf.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

You lie. :D :D

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They were the host team to the career leader when he set the career record. For whatever hill of beans any of you may think that's worth, it's a record that will stay on the book till someone breaks it. Fine, don't have him in your marketing materials. But you gotta keep some historical reference somewhere in that park.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

How is it business, though? What do the Giants lose by keeping that stuff? I'm assuming it cost them money to remove all that signage. IMO, it's just the Giants trying to feign having a conscience after at least five years of looking the other way while Bonds filled the seats.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't mean business in the sense that they're going to spend money or earn/lose a profit by taking down a few signs or putting up a plaque. Just that they have nothing to gain by his presence anymore, because he's not on the team, and clearly he's persona non grata around baseball. How much Sosa memorabilia is there at Wrigley or McGwire at Busch? I'd guess not much -- although probably more than nothing, like the story says San Fran has. But give 'em time (and wait for the Bonds trial to shake out), they'll put something up again.

12. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

Draft saved Draft deleted