1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Giants aren't bringing back Barry Bonds -- press conf at 5 pm PT

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 21, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The A-Rod Sweepstakes will play a role in this.

If A-Rod leaves the Bronx, there's room in the clubhouse for a surly asshole.

If A-Rod stays, I don't see Her Highness traipsing into Torre's world.

Seeing some of the stupid decisions made by the Nuttings, I'd put $10 if someone offered me 1,000-1 odds on him returning to Pittsburgh. The fans are fed up with the losing, and he'd be a draw.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Barroid Big Head in New York.... Not a fucking chance.

The NY media would tear George and Cashman to shreds and even in his dotage, George would not let that happen

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Was there really a need for a press conference about this?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

For the second time: Yes.

5. If you're going to mention Texas, you might as well mention Baltimore.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're right. But it doesn't mean I have to like it.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i only can hope you're wrong. no team deserves this fucktard more than the yankees.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Cross Anaheim off the list. The Angels have a plethora of DH types, (Vlad, Garret Anderson, Kendry Morales)... also check out Arte Moreno's views on steriods when the Gary Matthews Jr.-HGH issue sprung earlier this year.

Bonds isn't going to Anaheim. Not a chance.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They'll tell George it's 1978 and the guy with the big head is Reggie Jackson. George is so out of it, that he's out of it.

No way does Bonds end up in the Bronx. Cashman is building a team and the last thing he needs is another left handed former MVP, home run guy with no legs, no defensive aptitude and issues of performance enhancing drugs.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lets look at it this way: Who, besides SF, wanted him in 2007, when he was primed to set the all-time HR record?

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He's still chasing a big number. With his 3,000th hit, Bonds will join Mays, Aaron, Murray and Palmeiro in the 3,000-500 club and Aaron in the 3,000-700 club. He'll still be a draw somewhat. I expect at least one team to grab him. Bonds is hitting .279 with 28 home runs and has a .483 on-base percentage. Someone will make an offer for a good hitter, problems or not.

We can only hope he retires, which will be very unlikely.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It should be pointed out that the Giants really didn't want to re-sign Bonds. They wanted to sign Carlos Lee and Soriano, but lost out to Houston and Chicago.

Now that Bonds is gone, does this mean the Giants entice ARod to leave Da Bronx for The Bay Area? At least one columnist thinks so: http://www.nypost.com/seven/09222007/sports/barry_free_giants_can_go_after.htm?page=0

Draft saved Draft deleted