1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Giants aren't bringing back Barry Bonds -- press conf at 5 pm PT

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 21, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Who do you think those suitors will be? I'd think he'd only want to play on the West Coast at this stage of his career, so you could throw the Angels and A's in the discussion. It's tough for me to see him in a different uniform.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think East Coast or West Coast plays into Bonds' decision. All that he has left to do to validate his career--in his mind--is win a World Series Championship. He won't be able to do that in Oakland. Will the Angels ante up for him?

I'm sure there are other big market teams that could use a surly, slugging, steroid-abusing piece of shit.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Why not? He's still one of the greatest players in history, even if you despise him. More than one columnist has said Bonds ranks as the greatest ever.

My stance on Bonds has softened now that it's apparent that plenty of ballplayers have been doping up, and for a long, long time.

I loved Mark McGwire. I'm not wild about Bonds, but I sure did love watching him play.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Oakland seems like the natural fit. The Yankees are a traveling circus anyway, so what's one more clown with a big bat? Maybe Anaheim, though he doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the team. Not Boston, they don't need him to fill seats, and they've got nowhere for him to play. What about Detroit? Would give him a legitimate shot at the Series and reunite him with old friend Gary.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yankees?

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Possibility of Tigers?
    Barry still talks very highly of Jim Leyland.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

It'd definitely be fun to see him with the Yankees...

on another note, why was there a press conference for a team announcing they are not resigning a player?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ummm ... because he's the all-time leading home-run hitter?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

And he's been the franchise for 15 years.

Other that that, there wasn't a reason for the Giants to hold a presser to announce that they weren't going to re-sign him.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I say Bonds will sign with one of the following teams for something in the neighborhood of $6-8 million...

(in no particular order)
    Oakland
    Anaheim
    Seattle
    Texas
    Detroit

I also say there's a 50-50 chance he will retire.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Retire? Nah. He's cocky enough to go for 800.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But not going to be good enough to hang around for 869.

Draft saved Draft deleted