1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Giambi Mess

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 20, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No precedent to set, there's nothing to do.

And if by precedent you mean having people keep quiet about steroids, well, MLB has done that for years.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The "admission" you're talking about would never hold up before an arbitrator even if there were penalties for steroid use in baseball at the time. So why bother trying to go down the road of disciplinary action or contract voiding? That's just something the Daily News floated, apparently without much thought as to the reality of the situation. Why should MLB react to absurd rumors?

Re: Barry, I don't buy into the idea that the Commissioner has to be there or shouldn't be there. It's up to him. I don't know of anyone who takes their cue from Bud Selig as to how to react. The record will be the record and people will think what they want to think about it. A home run isn't the same now as it was in the '60s (with or without PEDs) and a home run in the '60s isn't the same as a home run in the '20s.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Buster Olney, among others, has made a good point about Giambi ... if he's really sincere in his apology about "the stuff," Giambi ought to defer some of the money from a contract awarded based on juiced numbers.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Try sneaking that one past Don Fehr and Gene Orza.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not saying it's plausible that it would happen. Just saying if he's sincere, he ought to suggest it regardless.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Why suggest it if there's not a snowball's chance in hell for it to happen? It'd be an exercise in futility, methinks.

We agree to gentlemanly disagree, Ozzie.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I heard Nightengale interviewed on the radio. He said something about Giambi telling him there were certain other things he wanted to say... things he would say at "a later time."

I wonder what that's all about.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

maybe that "later time" would be when he's traded away or let go from the Yankees.

9. Why?
    Contract freely arrived at by both sides.
    The notion that Giambi "owes" anyone anything is laughable.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome. Totally awesome.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I am now hearing that Giambi's additional confession will involve hiding kittens in the bullpen tarps and using them for batting practice.

'I shouldn't have done that stuff,' he told reporters.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

PETA is investigating a spate of cruel kitten deaths (actually SportsJournalists.com for some reason is the focus of the investigation), so Jason isn't at liberty to discuss this yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted