1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Giambi Mess

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 20, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ragu has a legitimate question ... but the answer, as always, is:

Baseball doesn't want to create an environment of openness and honesty. It's bad for bid'ness.

The rule is iron-clad: Keep your mouth shut, and we'll take care of you. Hell, it's even posted in the clubhouse. "What you see here, what you say here, let it stay here when you leave here."

(Of course, Buck Weaver did keep his mouth shut. But that's another story. 8))

The only way baseball will chop Giambi's head (or anyone else's) off is if they pull the rope on the guillotine themselves. Baseball wants to wash its hands clean of the steroids mess without actually being accountable for it -- same as it does every other time a "scandal" comes up.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

But...but...but George Mitchell is investigating it! And he has no conflicts of interest whatsoever!!!

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm sorry. i'm really, really sorry.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

At least Giambi apologized. He couldn't say he used but he apologized for what he did. Has Bonds ever shown any remorse? No. All he's done is be the ill-tempered, mean-spirited, shallow excuse of a human being he's always been. He didn't know what he was putting into his body? Right. If you believe that, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.
    [/quote]
    Alright, that's all fine and dandy.
    But apologizing or being a dick has nothing to do with it. The person that you are has nothing to do with what goes down on the field.
    If you're gonna give Giambi the award, I don't see why you can't give it to Barry. I'm just talkin..........
    [/quote]

"Bonds gave the partisans a thrill when he took a called third strike leading off the second, but he ended a 2-for-20 slump with a third-inning single to center and also singled to left in the sixth and walked in the seventh. He remained homerless since May 8.

Weary before the game, Bonds was unsure that designated hitting for the three games would shake him out of his doldrums, remarking: "I don't know if it will help. I don't feel good. I'm old. The knee is fine, but I'm old."

coupla weak grounders to second on sunday. i guess even hgh has a shelf life.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. You're right Buck. The other thing about the Yankees' reaction, I think, had to do with Giambi's poor timing on this. He was dumb for saying something NOW. Yankees are struggling, season is looking grim, were in the subway series and didn't need another distraction. After a few years of nothing, no idea why he chose NOW to open his yap. The Yankees were probably as pissed with the timing as anything else, which is why they got him to shut up the most effective way they could--quick story floated out there about them voiding the contract.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

[quote author=Chuck~Taylor
    Will he continue? I don't know. But has any one else ever played at this level at the age of 42(not to mention coming back from serious knee problems)?

Chris Chelios, age 45, in a sport which takes a greater toll on the body than baseball.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert here, but what makes what Giambi said here different that what he said before. He said he was sorry for taking "stuff," not actually coming out and saying streroids, very similar to what he previously said about "distractions." IF the Yanks want to void his contract, or IF MLB wants to suspend him for 50 games, wouldn't the players union have a little something to say about that?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Chris Chelios, age 45, in a sport which takes a greater toll on the body than baseball.
    [/quote]

... looked pretty damn good Sunday against the Ducks, too.

As for others on your list, Chuck:

Nolan Ryan led the AL with 301 strikeouts -- a number no pitcher has reached in the last four years -- at age 42. (And then, of course, threw a no-hitter at 43 and another at 44.)

Carlton Fisk caught 137 games and hit .285 at age 42.

Satchel Paige went 6-1 (including two shutouts) and helped the Indians win the World Series at age 41, and later won 12 games for the Browns at age 45.

The knee problems are Bonds' own damn fault. He's too heavy. Legs can't support him.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and you would be within bounds if you were of the belief that ol' Satch was well past 41, at the time.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just b/c you say you're sorry doesn't mean you're sorry.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good work, newbie. Yours is the correct answer. 1) Giambi broke absolutely no new ground with his statement; 2) Some media members rushed to play the "admission" card when there was, in fact, none, and 3) The Yankees/MLB have absolutely no grounds upon which to void his contract.

MLB only wants its Bud Selig-authorized version of the "truth" to ever come out and, like it has done in the past when it wants an "independent" report that verifies its position, it has turned to a member of the club -- George Mitchell. Afterall, the former candidate for commissioner and current Red Sox board member did such a bang-up job on the Commissioner's Blue Ribbon panel on economics a few years back.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"That stuff didn't help me hit home runs."

"I was wrong for doing that stuff."

Nope. No admission of anything there. Those media members, always in such a rush to 'play the "admission" ard when there was, in fat, none.' They are always making up stories where there aren't any.

Draft saved Draft deleted