1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Giambi Mess

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 20, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Didn't this contract-voiding train leave the station, say, two years ago? Is the USA Today interview really shedding any new light? He still does not come flat out and say, "I used 'roids."

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

His contract runs through next season, so he's cautious about what he says. If he comes out and says, "Yeah, I juiced," the Yankees will void his contract in less time than it takes BYH to fool around with the ladies.

The interview didn't shed any new light, other than Giambi is quite apologetic for doing something that everyone knows he did but he can't say that he did.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Hey man, they guy is putting up numbers after coming back from some serious knee problems(at the age of 42). If you're gonna give it to Giambi, shouldn't you give it Bonds?[/quote]

At least Giambi apologized. He couldn't say he used but he apologized for what he did. Has Bonds ever shown any remorse? No. All he's done is be the ill-tempered, mean-spirited, shallow excuse of a human being he's always been. He didn't know what he was putting into his body? Right. If you believe that, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.
    [/quote]
    Alright, that's all fine and dandy.
    But apologizing or being a dick has nothing to do with it. The person that you are has nothing to do with what goes down on the field.
    If you're gonna give Giambi the award, I don't see why you can't give it to Barry. I'm just talkin..........

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Bonds.

He may break his own record for intentional walks in a season. Who protects him in that lineup? If I'm a manager, I give him the four-wide treatment. Or I tell my pitcher to put one in his ass. [/quote]Hey man, they guy is putting up numbers after coming back from some serious knee problems(at the age of 42). If you're gonna give it to Giambi, shouldn't you give it Bonds?[/quote]

At least Giambi apologized. He couldn't say he used but he apologized for what he did. Has Bonds ever shown any remorse? No. All he's done is be the ill-tempered, mean-spirited, shallow excuse of a human being he's always been. He didn't know what he was putting into his body? Right. If you believe that, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.[/quote]Alright, that's all fine and dandy.
    But apologizing or being a dick has nothing to do with it. The person that you are has nothing to do with what goes down on the field.
    If you're gonna give Giambi the award, I don't see why you can't give it to Barry. I'm just talkin..........
    [/quote]I don't have a vote, but if I did I wouldn't vote for Bonds or Giambi as COY.

As for Bonds' numbers, he hasn't homered in 12 days. With no one able to protect him in that lineup, how soon before teams pitch around him or give him nothing to hit? Why would teams pitch to him? Who else on that team can do damage?

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Back to 21's questions ...

1. Seems like he's actually embraced logic. Yes, everybody knows he did them, he knows he did them and he knows that they know he did them and yet he still plays on. What, is he O.J. Simpson, afraid to slip up and let them swoop in for the kill when they have so casually ignored the obvious for years?

2. Cashman's comments are what ails MLB in microcosm ... no real leadership. They act like they are in Alcoholic's Anonymous but won't make the first step and admit there is a problem ... and that they are a major part of it. Cashman's comments hurt baseball far more than Giambi's. Giambi is supposed to be a moron.

3. What am I missing in the voiding of his deal? How can they do it when steroids were not on any banned list? OK, he broke the law ... is that it? Would that be enough to void? It would be hilarious, to me, if Giambi's deal is voided about a month before The All-Time Roid King breaks Aaron's record.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Which is my point. The Yankees shut up about voiding the deal -- or sending him to Columbus 00 once he miraculously rebounded after that horrible start to 2005.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I guess we're both saying the same thing. If Giambi were hitting, he could admit to being the second gunman on the grassy knoll and the Yanks would be blissfully ignorant.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Hey man, they guy is putting up numbers after coming back from some serious knee problems(at the age of 42). If you're gonna give it to Giambi, shouldn't you give it Bonds?[/quote]

At least Giambi apologized. He couldn't say he used but he apologized for what he did. Has Bonds ever shown any remorse? No. All he's done is be the ill-tempered, mean-spirited, shallow excuse of a human being he's always been. He didn't know what he was putting into his body? Right. If you believe that, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.[/quote]Alright, that's all fine and dandy.
    [/quote]I don't have a vote, but if I did I wouldn't vote for Bonds or Giambi as COY.

As for Bonds' numbers, he hasn't homered in 12 days. With no one able to protect him in that lineup, how soon before teams pitch around him or give him nothing to hit? Why would teams pitch to him? Who else on that team can do damage?
    [/quote]
    That's cool, and I respect that. But IMO, since Giambi got it, Bonds should be up for the award as well.

Will he continue? I don't know. But has any one else ever played at this level at the age of 42(not to mention coming back from serious knee problems)?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

To address 21's originalpoints:

A. Giambi is full of shit because his repsonse now is he was "duped" into saying those things by the wirter. In other words, he's still an asshole.
    B. Yeah, Cashman is being as asshole too.
    C. They tried the void the contract shit before. Sorry Yankees, you're stuck with one more year of a horrendous deal so suck it up and quit whining while you finish below .500 this season.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You mean, all those people who say "Jason Giambi is one of the best guys in baseball" are full of shit? :eek:

Stunned, I tell you!

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

You know, wicked, I donlt think Giambi is really a bad guy.
    But I think he's one of the dumbest guys around...I mean flat out stupid.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, spnited, they're making the playoffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted