1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gator with the messy pants

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 3, 2015.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

He may not have missed a snap, but he presumably ran to the locker room to change, right? "Coach, why did so-and-so go up to the locker room in the second quarter? Did he get dinged up?"

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Did someone suggest a reporter asking about it in postgame? That's much dumber to me than an irreverent site making an irreverent post about something. Even Bobby Hurley awkwardly runs from the room at the thought of that.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They had a changing table in the locker room. :D

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is shitty journalism.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

sadly, it seems that beat reporters intently watching an event from the press box (with their crummy TVs and no sound) are the least likely people to have a clue what people really care about at games, such as the thing the announcer said: the hot girl who was in the stands; the RB who crapped his pants; the fleeting gang side someone made on the sideline and all that.

6. Doc Holliday

Ultimately, beat reporters are reporting what people are interested in ... the outcome of the event. All these other little stories are great for sidebars, note packages, etc. I'm a lot more interested in whether Marcus Mariota leads Oregon to the national title Monday night rather than if he shits his pants. However, if he does take a dump in them, I'm interested in that for a good laugh, too.

It's about balance, knowing how much man power and how much space to devote to an event and the things that happen within said event.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

How interested would you be if after beating the Buckeyes, Mariota took a dump on their logo?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. Doc Holliday

LOL ... I'd be all over that story as a beat writer or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted