1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gaslight Anthem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Jul 18, 2012.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Just a heads up - the new album is out today.

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Got the new album -- deluxe edition -- in the mail from the preorder on Saturday. I love the first half, but I will say the second half has grown on me with repeated listens.

As for Grantland's thoughts? Not so much: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8192885/the-gaslight-anthem-brian-fallon-falls-short-bruce-springsteen-emulation-new-album-handwritten

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Just read that. Rough review.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Grantland piece was a little harsh in spots, but makes some good points.

I just listened to the whole album, and... it's OK. It feels a little like there are three songs on it: "45," "National Anthem," and one song played over and over between them. I don't think the production does them any great favors, but the production seems better than "American Slang," where the vocals sounded thin and tinny throughout.

I think Brian Fallon might be smart to ditch the Horrible Crowes side project. If he wants to write songs that don't sound like Gaslight Anthem songs, that's great -- put 'em on the next Gaslight Anthem album.

"American Slang" grew on me, and this one probably will too. Still, both albums feel like a regression from "The '59 Sound."

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've listened to it once and at first glance it isn't bad - not even close to The '59 Sound but maybe a shade better than American Slang. To me the best songs are "45, "Too Much Blood", "National Anthem" and I kind of dig the Nirvana-like vibe of "Sliver".

I agree with PC: Brian Fallon doesn't seem to have a lot of ideas, musically or lyrically, and there is a sameness to the structure and sound of most of the songs. (As an aside, I really liked the Horrible Crowes album because it did sound so much different that Gaslight Anthem. I can see PC's point.) Why the album contains an absolutely pointless cover of Tom Petty's "You Got Lucky" is beyond me.

As for the Grantland review, it was nasty, but spot on. Fallon beats you over the head with his Springsteen infatuation and even if he isn't ripping off lyrics and dumping Boss references into every song on the new album he seems to be going out of his way to sing like him now. People can see through that, he needs to find his own voice and maybe stop trying to write so many anthemic "Badlands"-like arena rockers. He's not Springsteen and never will be. But he is also the guy who wrote the stunning "Here's Looking At You, Kid" so I know he has it in him to be more than just the best Springsteen imitator alive.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Maybe I'm misreading this, but you do realize "Sliver" is a cover of Nirvana, right?

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know but I like how they kept that grunge feel to it instead of turning it into a "shout your lungs out and reach the back row" rocker. Showed a different side of them. The Petty cover, on the other hand, was lifeless, something you'd hear a bad bar band do.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Okay. Your wording threw me off a little. And I agree that the Sliver cover is good.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess it was a little misleading.

10. PCLoadLetter

I'm bewildered by the "You Got Lucky" cover too. Are we just that old, and they assume the bulk of their audience has never heard the song? Because it's note for note, down to the cheesy, dated synth sound. I love a good cover, but that one makes them sound like they're playing a prom somewhere.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I've been a fan for a while and still hoping to see them live. Wish they'd play a night I'm off so I wouldn't have to take a vacation day. (those are all reserved for Springsteen shows!)

12. PCLoadLetter

For those who missed it, The Gaslight Anthem did a webcast concert a few weeks ago from the Ed Sullivan Theater, the night they were appearing on Letterman. Link here:

http://tinyurl.com/cwgusgr

It's about an hour long, and it's really good.

The link also has the past concerts in the series, and some of them have been tremendous. I highly recommend the Foo Fighters, Wilco and Ryan Adams concerts.

Draft saved Draft deleted