1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gaslight Anthem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Jul 18, 2012.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Anybody?

Personally, as a self-described Springsteen hack, it's no surprise I really like this band and have for a long time. But I'll finally be seeing them for the first time this week, and in a small club no less. I'm stoked.

Anybody else see them live? Thoughts?

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've seen them live twice and I would do it 10+ more times. They're awesome live, and probably my favorite indie band around these days.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Seconded (though I've only seen them once). Their new album is very good.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Huge fan. Saw them a couple of years ago. Great band.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Just started getting into them a while ago, and also love them.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dreunc1542 turned me on to them a couple years ago, and I'm seeing them live for the first time this fall. Can't freaking wait.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They last played Bonnaroo in 2010, so they're due back.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Knew he would bring this up. (I was out of town last time they were in Toronto.)

I really like them and first found out about them from a PC post on this board. The '59 Sound is a tremendous album from beginning to end, American Slang was a massive letdown for me, have high hopes for their new one.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Would this be a bad time to point out they're coming to town again in September, but for some reason there's no Toronto show on this tour?

(If it's any consolation, at the show here they're actually opening for Rise Against in a city park. No thank you.)

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I think it was Dreunc who told me about them as well, in a thread posted here IIRC. Haven't seen them live, but this group is great.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I enjoy a lot of their stuff.

My favorite indie band right now is likely The Whigs.

12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Wow. I mean, just wow. They were unbelievable. So, so tight. Had a great crowd, too, and pretty diverse in ages. Interesting.

You know, I see Brian Fallon on TV or YouTube at the big shows or with Springsteen, and it's amazing the heart, soul and emotion he puts into those performances. I saw all of that for 90-plus minutes last night with just 700 other people. It was really hard to take your eyes off of him. Magnetic.

Also, an aside. My buddies and I were standing outside the club before the show. The backstage entrance to the club is actually the front of the building. Spectators enter around the corner. Anyway, Fallon walks out of the bus with some friends and heads for the front. The doorman stops him, says "You have to enter on the side, man." Brian just smiled, took out his passes and simply told the guy who he was. Doorman clearly felt like a fool, but Fallon was super cool about it, shook the guy's hand, patted him on the shoulder and told him not to worry about it. No big-timing. Just completely understood the situation. That was pretty refreshing.

I loved this band before the show. Afterward, though, I could barely sleep. I'm in. All in.

Draft saved Draft deleted