1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The gang that can't shoot straight takes on Chelsea

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

"Hey baby, I see you have braces. I have braces too."

2. The Howler's rocking on this very topic today, Jay.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Simply outstanding.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

outstanding, only because it's probably true.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Now I just vomited.

But I agree, leave the kids alone unless they put themselves in the mix, or are complete screw-ups. Then it's fair game like everyone else.

Chelsea hardley seems like a screw-up, and considering who her parents are, she seems fairly well-adjusted.
    What a shitty article.

6. People who trot out the "liberal media" card forget that Bill Clinton was a target of vitriol from the first 10 days of his administration. Part of was that the East Coast media saw him as a hayseed unworthy of this lofty office. He didn't help himself by surrounding himself with only Arkansas cronies and acting like he was above Washington. That he was going to change everything there, and he - with a push from you-know-who - didn't expect to do it diplomatically.

The other stupid misstep was that you-know-who treated the White House press corps like absolute shit. She banished them from the West Wing. She cut off access to the press secretary's office. I know this kind of paranoia and interference seems normal today, even on our college and pro football beats, but it was considered over-the-top and unnecessarily combative then.

I expect that the Clinton pinata is about to be hung up again, as evidenced by the Chelsea story, among many others. Good reporters turn into drooling celebrity chasers by this couple, for some reason, to the detriment of the American people.

This is why a lot of people don't want to elect her. Plenty of people have no stomach for eight more years of the Clinton soap opera.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Hey, it got Maureen Dowd a Pulitzer.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

From The Onion on The Bush twins' 18th birthday, under a photo of Jenna Bush: "Federally protected wetlands now open for drilling."

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't have the stomach for eight more years of press corps bullshit. The Clinton soap opera was a creation of and maintained by the Washington press corps. And while the Clintons made mistakes, they certainly created some of the drama, I think that at least some of the American people realize that it wasn't all the Clintons.
    With Bill, I think, it was a combination of coming from outside the Washington circle, and as the first baby boomer president, he was a contemporary of some of the reporters and editors, who believed that they were better than him, and it created a disdain on their part.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

This thread title is rather suggestive. I'm just saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted