1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The gang that can't shoot straight takes on Chelsea

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jul 31, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I feel a Bob Somerby-style rage coming on.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/30/us/politics/30cnd-chelsea.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Part of me says that writing about the candidates' kids is okay, but this exercise in mind reading and connecting the dots is laughable at best and at worst the kind of sloppy, shoddy work that has come to be expected from the national papers when dealing with all things Democratic.
    Let's take a look at the lede...
    So how do you know what Chelsea says in private?
    You have this later down ... "she and her parents turned down interview requests for this article, as they have for countless others on the subject."
    Then this..."At dinner parties and weddings, she seems wary of eavesdroppers and gawkers."
    So she, her parents, her boyfriend and all her friends would not comment on the record for the article and she's apparently careful not to let anything slip out in public, but the writer was able to devine what happens in private...

The article is just full of things like her first job and how she hired at the same rank as those with MBAs because a graduate degree from Oxford is worthless. And was that unusual? How does that compare to the hiring pattern at the firm? No answers, of course.
    Not a single co-worker expressed any form of skepticism in the article, but Chelsea won over the skeptical. Who? How? Apparently she's smart, highly educated, a hard worker and after a lifetime spent in the public eye, has a way of slipping behind the scenes.
    And this on public speaking..."She rarely says anything surprising. She doesn’t have to; people seem delighted just to watch her lips move and hear sound emerge."
    Yeah, you stupid rubes or was it, this is what you get when you don't return our phone calls Chelsea. We will write the stupidest things possible.
    Liberal media my ass.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

That fucking liberal med...oh. Jay beat me to it.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yawn has no idea why he just got an erection.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because he secretly masturbates to pics of Chelsea as he weeps?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the in-depth features on the younger kids of Obama and Edwards.

They like to fingerpaint, but prefer landscapes to people. They're not very good spellers and insiders whisper that they still wet the bed.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Edwards has a daughter close to Chelsea's age. I haven't seen her profile or much more than her name mentioned.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, does yawn weep or chelsea?

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Chelsea has no idea why she just vomited...

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Just my opinion, but unless the children of prominent politicians are taking an activist role in their parents' campaign, it seems a bit gutless to make them media targets. And that includes the Bush girls, too, before any of the neocons start whining.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They're shockingly ignorant on policy issues, too, and at times act like children.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The story cites many instances of Chelsea taking an active role in her parents' political endeavors.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As John McCain once said, Chelsea is the love child of Bill Clinton and Janet Reno

Draft saved Draft deleted