1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gambler fires agent Bor-ass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 16, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There may be a god after all

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/UPDATE/711160461/1361

Friday, November 16, 2007
    Rogers fires agent Boras
    Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

Kenny Rogers, whose signing had been an off-season priority for the Tigers, may have moved closer to a 2008 contract with the Tigers Friday when he abruptly fired his high-profile agent, Scott Boras.

Rogers, a 43-year-old left-hander who has won more than 200 big-league games, notified the Major League Baseball Players Association that he was dismissing Boras and representing himself in free-agent talks. Rogers pitched the past two seasons for the Tigers and was viewed as essential to stabilizing manager Jim Leyland's young starting rotation in 2008.

Dave Dombrowski, the Tigers president and general manager, did not return a Detroit News phone call Friday requesting comment on the Rogers-Boras split.

The Tigers had offered Boras and Rogers a one-year deal believed to be upward of $10 million, by way of incentives. Rogers had said in August that he preferred to pitch in Detroit, if he were to pitch at all in 2008. It was believed the two sides might quickly come to an agreement, but those expectations dissolved when Boras chose to shop Rogers with other clubs when open-market free agency began Tuesday.

The Tigers bit their tongues and did not publicly, or privately, attack Boras. But their anger was palpable as Dombrowski made it known the team would "aggressively" seek other candidates to join Detroit's 2008 rotation.

You can reach Lynn Henning at lynn.henning@detnews.com

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

"And the walls.....come a tumbling down"

I bet A-Rod does the same thing.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's just too bad someone with more demand in the market didn't make that move on Boras. Hopefully this is just the first of many, but don't expect Boras to be out of the game any time soon.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And I hope you don't respond to this message, Chef. Because you should be celebrating, not wasting another night with all of us mooks on here.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I see this in two ways. The idea behind free agency is that you can play teams against each and maximize the deal you get. Boras understands this, and in fact, will use every trick you can imagine get teams to panic and overbid because of fear of another team.

That said, some clients--and I deal with some baseball agents-- have other values. In Rogers case, it seems like he just wanted to go back to Detroit and he was even probably willing to give the home town discount. A good agent has to realize that, and accept his client's wishes. Boras bas trouble with this, though. To him, you are being a sucker if you don't test the whole market first before making a deal, and he can't understand how someone like Rogers can make his decisions based on sentimental/quality of life reasons.

I think there are some players who are made for Boras. He is good at what he does and puts together these free agency briefs that can almost have you believing even the biggest scrub is the second coming of Christ. But there are some players who should have no business with him. A guy like Kenny Rogers is one.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

O/U on how long until Boras floats the "real" reason Rogers was able to hit the mid-90s against the Yankees in last year's playoffs...six weeks.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

That happens Boras can say goodbye to every client he's ever had.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why? Fuck with me, I'll air your dirty laundry. Seems to me to be a pretty good way for Boras to keep his client list strong.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Kenny Rogers -- signed 4-year contract w/Yankees for $5 mil per in 1996
    Kenny Rogers -- signed 3-year contract w/Rangers for $7.5 mil per in 2000
    Kenny Rogers -- signed 1-year contract w/Twins for $2 mil in 2003
    Kenny Rogers -- signed 2-year contract w/Rangers for $6 mil total in 2004
    Kenny Rogers -- signed 2-year contract w/Tigers for $8 mil per in 2006

I believe Scott Boras was his agent for all those negotiations. Boras was Rogers' agent in 1995 when he was negotiating with the Tribe before signing w/the Yanks.

Rogers' career earnings are $74,665,500, according to BaseballReference.com. Excuse me for not thinking Kenny Rogers a baseball savior for not firing Boras before the guy helped Rogers make close to $100 million.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Kenny Rogers has made $75 million?

I think I'll go drink some lye.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Boras is a master at making sure his clent forgets who is in charge in the player-agent relationship.

Well, Kenny Rogers remembered.

If you're all about the top dollar, Scott Boras is your guy. If you've got $50 mil in the bank and figure you'd rather do what you're comfortable doing, you fire Boras and represent yourself.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

May keep the ones he has but I would figure it would hurt him in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted