1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Future of ND Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And No NFL career. Not saying that if he went to ND he would have.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hell, if they do this for Brian Kelly, they won't need a new coach...

...but haven't they made it pretty clear they aren't going to lower the standards, period?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To your point:
    They got a kid from our area. Last I looked he made 2nd team guard as freshman and it does not look like he will be red shirted.

Label me shocked. Big kid 6'5" 300lbs. Really never touched a weight in HS. Lived the country club life and mostly played against Tommy Trust funds. Never really challenged.

I figured he would get red shirted and maybe in 2-3 yrs do something.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Seems like they don't red shirt linemen a lot. I'd love to see that comparison between other programs. That's a position that needs that extra year.

5. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

N.D. has 25 former players in the NFL.

Auburn has 26 Bama 26 (last two national champs)

I think Notre Dame recruits just fine.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This part of the first post jumped out at me:

Want more in-depth coverage of Notre Dame football? Check out insider information, forums and exclusive video on Irish Eyes.

Not a Notre Dame fan? Find your team at Scout.com.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

How do you figure? With the status quo, they get to keep all their TV contract money, bowl money, etc. to themselves. They don't have to share it with the other teams in a league. And because their fan base is so large, they'll continue to get a lucrative TV contract, if not from NBC, then from somebody.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I see what you did there.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

At some point, the presidents of the big conferences are going to realize that, "hey, we could all just boycott Notre Dame by refusing to schedule them and Notre Dame will be hurt and not a damn thing will happen to us." How's that TV contract looking with Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, USC, Pitt and Boston Garbage rotating off and being replaced by Louisiana-Lafayette, Central Michigan, Rice and Eastern Washington?

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then it's obvious they're coaching very crappy.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Unless you're in a BCS bowl, or one of the Big Ten/SEC Florida bowls, bowl money is negligable. Indiana's bowl revenues were far larger than ND's last year, even without making a bowl, because of Big Ten revenue-sharing.

I'm sure the SEC/new Pac-12/Big Ten TV contracts match up very favorably with whatever ND gets from NBC. NBC isn't going to greatly increase its rights fees to televise ND-San Diego State or ND-Nevada or whatever other school ND is dumbing its schedule down to.

And there is far more income out there to be had for BCS AQ-conference schools, with the league-specific TV networks the Big Ten already has, and that's on the way for the Pac-12.That kind of niche, regionalized broadcasting is the wave of the future.

ND will probably always play Purdue, Navy and USC, even though the date of the USC game in LA must change from end of season to midseason because of the Pac-10 championship game. USC's not gonna shift the UCLA game to accommodate ND.

And when the Big Ten adopts a nine-game league schedule, one non-league game will have to go and what's the advantage for Michigan or Sparty to keep playing ND when they can load up on cupcake home games and still draw big crowds?

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Bo Schembecler even suggested this late in his life. Purdue gets something out of it because the Domers are still the top football program in the state in terms of reputation. Michigan, NW and MSU could just as easily schedule Podunk Tech and no one would care either way.
    That's why the "Notre Dame to the B1G" talk is such a pipe dream. They conference wanted them 20 years ago. 20 years ago Notre Dame said no and Penn State said yes. Now the B1G would just as soon see the Irish take their touchdown Jesus and shove it.
    So as to the original topic of the future of Notre Dame? A few dozen 6-6 seasons, the occasional trip to the Emerald Bowl and hundreds of alumni stroking themselves to stories of the Four Horsemen and Rocket Ismael.

Draft saved Draft deleted