1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Future of ND Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

What color would Brian Kelly's head turn if he lost to Central Michigan?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I always thought that Kelly was the choice after all other did not pan out.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think they need a big name, like a Jon Gruden or Urban Meyer.

They throw Saban-like money at him and they give him everything he wants. This would include them letting in the players that they did when Holtz was there.

That's the only way Notre Dame becomes a consistent powerhouse again.

I don't want to say the Notre Dame mystique is gone for the current crop of recruits, but I'm guessing the top recruits in the nation are a lot more interested in schools like FSU, Alabama and Florida than they are in Notre Dame.

Most of the top recruits in the country were born around 1994. Since then, the Irish have two 10-win seasons.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

In 1996 a buncha Pitt students wore "Rudy Sucked" t-shirts out to South Bend. In 1997, a buncha Notre Dame students wore t-shirts that said "Rudy Sucked.." on the front and "But he woulda' started at Pitt" on the back. Thought it was a great comeback.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mizzougrad96

I agree with this.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Before Saturday's telecast, the NBC announcers started going on - per usual - about how the USF kids are making their first trip to Notre Dame Stadium and they vow they aren't going to be awed, etc., etc., etc.

I'm thinking, "Why the hell would they be?! Notre Dame means nothing to them. It's where their coach played."

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Kelly had a killer first season with the Irish.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hey, they won a bowl game!

Did you watch it?

It was like 50 degrees in El Paso, and Miami's players all showed up wearing ski masks and long sleeve shirts. Yeah, they had a chance.

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't think anyone in South Bend is celebrating after an 8-5 season and a Sun Bowl win.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Since Valdiserri was in mood to answer questions on clearing up ND mystique stories, I wish Couch asked him if it was true that all the black players quite on Ara at halftime of USC A Davies 6 TD game.

11. Mizzougrad96

If Urban Meyer is available after this season, and most think he will be, do you think Ohio State and ND start a bidding war for him?

Firing Kelly after two seasons would be messed up, and I don't expect it to happen, but could Meyer's availability change that?

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Meyer had 30 players arrested in his time at UF. Better fit would OSU.

Draft saved Draft deleted