1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Future of ND Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good column by Greg Couch today on Brien Kelly and the future of ND Football.

Some interesting observations on HC's from Roger Valdiserri, former ND SID who has known everyone since Leahy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/bringing-notre-dame-fighting-irish-back-to-the-future-090811

o, how many of these Notre Dame legends are true, and how many are just embellishments.

“Some are true and some aren’t.’’

Name one that isn’t.

“Ask me one and I’ll tell you.’’

Rudy?

“He was always hanging around the offices,’’ Valdiserri said. “(Coach Dan) Devine liked him, but for some reason just didn’t want to play him. The movie was mostly right. The only part they took license with was when the players came into Devine’s office and put their jerseys on his desk to get him to let Rudy dress.

“Devine told me, `If they would have done that, they’d have never gotten their jerseys back.’ ’’

Valdiserri knows that some stories are just smoke, but he believes in Notre Dame. He believes that it is about being a student first, and then an athlete. He believes it’s about doing the right things. And he believes it can all still work.

They have just hired a few wrong coaches, he said. And just as he said that, Gerry Faust walked up from behind and gave him a big hug. I swear I didn’t just make that up.

After Leahy, Terry Brennan became coach. Smart guy, Valdiserri said, but nowhere near Leahy’s presence. Was hardly any older than the seniors.

Then came Joe Kuharich. Valdiserri crinkled up his nose: “Charlie Weis was Kuharich reincarnate.’’

Meaning what?

“Arrogant. He was all about himself," Valdiserri said. "Weis didn’t leave here with any friends. He was the opposite of Ara (Parseghian). Ara gave himself to Notre Dame; he didn’t want the attention.’’

2. vicd

vicd Active Member

The future of Notre Dame football is Skip Holtz (when he's offered the head coaching job next year)

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, that's an interesting one... At the rate he's going, Skip will have better offers.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The future of Notre Dame is the Big Ten if they have any sense at all.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We're really firing Brian Kelly already?

Really?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if he goes three seasons without a 10-win season, he'd likely be gone.

One more reason why no decent coach should want this job.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

ND has some very nice pieces in place, but it needs competency from the quarterback position. As soon as that is figured out they will be a very dangerous team. They have an outstanding defense and tons of talent in the skill positions. I still see them winning 9-10 games this season, despite the debacle in the opener.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not a bad thought, but remember, Domers were lusting after Brian Kelly for two years as the corrective action for what ailed the program.

11. Dick Whitman

Is three seasons pretty much the window that college coaches have now?

12. Dick Whitman

Eh ... I don't know if that was universal. I think they were pretty lukewarm on just about anyone after the Weis debacle. They all wanted Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops. Kelly was the fallback. I'm not convinced they were sold then or now.

Draft saved Draft deleted