1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Future For Terrelle Pryor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If the guy wants to play in the NFL, how would it have been better for him to play in a spread offense system -- a style that has turned out, what, zero successful NFL QBs?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is really my point/ question - Pryor has great raw skills - is Tressel the right guy to refine them. I have my doubts.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That depends on what type of spread offense you are talking about. If you are talking about a spread that relies a great deal on option running plays, that could be seen as an issue. But I would think any college coach with an athlete like Pryor would want to use some elements of that to take advantage of his talents.

I have also heard what Drew Brees played in at Purdue referred to as a spread offense. The same goes for what Delaware ran with Joe Flacco.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Should have went to?
    Shouldn't it be should have gone to?
    Or am I the grammarfuckedupologist here?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, a coach that wins a national title against a massive favorite isn't a good coach. Tressel adapts to his players every year, and has success every year. His team just almost beat Texas in the Fiesta Bowl.

Just because he hasn't had success lately in the BCS doesn't mean he's not getting his teams into one of its games almost every single year.

6. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Tressel won that title because of A) a massive cheap shot that knocked McGahee out of the game, B) a horrible call after Miami had already won the game, and C) A dropped pass by a Cincinnati receive in early September.

Guy can't coach a lick, especially in big games. Tressel did not get his team into the BCS this year, OSU's fans did. If Buckeye fans didn't travel so well, Boise, Texas Tech or someone else would have been in that game. He wins games in the Big MAC year after year, but when he faces real teams, or even semi-real teams like Texas, he gets destroyed.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

24-21 is now destroyed.

Gotcha.

He's taken tOSU to three national title games, won one, has gone 3-3 in BCS bowl games, 7-1 against Michigan, has won five Big Ten titles, and that's not even including four Division I-AA titles at Youngstown State, where you actually have to beat the best teams in the division to be named national champion.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I agree

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Listen, goddamnit, and you listen good - there is absolutely no room for rationality on this board. None. Zilch. Nada. You either jump off the cliff or you lurk. No other options.

10. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Three national title games -- one with another guy's players, two where they got blown out in the only game all year against a quality opponent.

7-1 against Michigan: See "a quality opponent." Going 7-1 against a team that can't beat Appalachian State and Toledo? Wow. Guy knows how to keep his job, that's for sure.

I-AA titles? Great. That program was believed to be even filthier than the one Tressel runs in Columbus, but since it was in little league, the NYT wasn't coming around to investigate.

Winning the Big Ten is not as accomplishment. Winning against good competition outside it? Different story. And in 24 months, his teams have played top 10 teams, I believe, five times. They are 0-5, three of the losses blowouts and the fourth they didn't score a touchdown. Yes, great coach.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Too easy.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If you're going to use solely the last two years to judge someone's entire coaching career, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Evidently the 'What have you done for me lately' effect is in full force.

Draft saved Draft deleted