1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Funnies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OscarMadison, Feb 14, 2021.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Just looked through the two Pogo collections on the shelves here. It definitely speaks to the political climate of the times. Not a fan of Doug Marlette, but I have to agree with his view that one of the best things about Walt Kelly's work was his use of typography.

I loved Get Fuzzy. Wonder if Conley suffered from the same kind of depression Allie Brosh wrote about in Hyperbole and a Half. Sometimes it seemed like his self-insert was awfully solitary. Maybe it's the perfect strip for the shelter in place crowd.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Baby Blues and Non Sequitur of the currents

Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County, Far Side.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Count me among the Get Fuzzy fans.

Killick, Wenders and OscarMadison like this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

It's been years since I read Baby Blues. I like Scott and Kirkman's visual style. (Looked it up. Wow! It's still running!)

This has to be a high point in the history of American comics:

goodall larsen.jpg

Mngwa likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I feel like we’re having a seance with spnited.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, Get Fuzzy and Pickles were always my favs.

My granddad LOVED The Lockhorns. He would cut them out and paste them in the back of the kitchen cabinets. We all had a great laugh as we attempted to remove them when we remodeled their kitchen.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Far Side and Fox Trot were always my favorites. Along with Calvin and Hobbes, early Dilbert, Robotman/Monty, Doonesbury and some others, every newspaper in the country in the late 80s and early 90s had a murderer's row of great comic strips. Then all of the artists seemed to bail on it or scale way back right around the same time. The collapse of newspapers a few years later didn't help the medium.
    Our paper has a token comics page now. We run the classics like Hi and Lois, Dennis the Menace, Beetle Bailey and Family Circus and that's it. I assume they're all part of the cheapest syndication package.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Chester the Molester /crossthread Flynt

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Those filthy Family Circus parodies were far more entertaining than the real thing.

maumann and bumpy mcgee like this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Charles Schulz could always drop the hammer:

"That's a point in my favor, sweetie!"

(And those were EIGHT MONTHS before Aaron broke the record.)

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Tank MacNamara, Doonesbury and Mallard Fillmore provided me with a pretty well-rounded cartoon diet when I was just getting started in the papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted