1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The French are striking again... But they do have socialized health care

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Nov 17, 2007.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I've lived in Britain for the last 13 years and the National Health Service isn't as great (or as bad) as the stories you hear. Everything is free, free, free, yes, but you've got long waiting lists for operations and the like. There are various health authorities that cover different geographical areas and in the end, the care you get really depends on where you live. Or, if you want to avoid the line, you can go private. In the last few years, I've seen companies start offering separate insurance plans just for this purpose.

That being said, I couldn't imagine going back to live under the American system. Once you get in your head that decent medical care is a right, something that any civilized government provides, it's hard to go back to the old way.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

3. OK, Ragu, so you tap-dance around the McKinsey's conclusions -- which is that, compared to the rest of the world, we ARE getting ripped off, and horribly, by the our system, which you freely admit is a bad one. "Health care is expensive so, we're screwed" isn't an argument. If you think we have the best health-care system in the world -- even granting you the good-faith notion that you're applying Churchill's assessment of democracy to it -- then there isn't much anybody can do to budge you. Britwit has it nailed, I think. No thinking human being would readily adopt the American system of health-care from scratch.
    And if you think the flat statement that "84 percent of Americans are covered" begins to address the problems of the people who are insured in this country, I hope you never find out how laughable that really is.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) I can't be more clear. I am not tap dancing around anything. It wasn't that we are getting ripped off. I will e-mail a PDF of the McKinsey study to anyone who wants to read it and it does NOT make that bottom-line conclusion. The conclusion of that report is that we OVERCONSUME--partially because providers overprescribe and consumers overuse services they don't need. This is because there is no incentive not to. If you have insurance or are on a government program, there is no disincentive to not take as much as you can. And if you are a provider being put on price-fixed schedules undercompensating you for the services you provide, you are going to tweak a corrupt system to actually earn your living. The irony is that these are problems that are actually made worse with every intermediary system every genius is proposing--including the one we already have and including socialization, which would have those problems if it was even viable enough to provide universal coverage, which it can't, because rationing is the immediate first move under such systems (they are unaffordable, so immediately what they call universal turns into a system with waiting lists, denials of coverage and in some cases classes of people not being covered).

2) Brit nailed it pretty well, although it is not "free, free, free." They pay for it. They just pay the government for the appearance of free. Ask the average American how he feels about 10 percent or 15 percent or whatever it is more of his paycheck being taken before it is direct deposited. This stuff is NOT free, even if a government bureaucracy is running it. Of course, government bureaucracy has been proven time and time again to be the least efficient way to allocate anything. A civil servant has no incentive to act fiscally rationally. They also have private insurance in Britain for a reason--which pretty much creates the two class system we have here. And people actually leave the country to get care for serious illness for a reason. The British haven't figured out any better than we have how to make a very expensive commodity cheap. It's just the truth.

3) When I said we have the best health care system in the world, I misspoke. Our intermediary system is messed up beyond belief. But the quality of care you can get in the United States is better than any place in the world. There is more innovation coming out of the U.S. than from any place in the world (there is a good reason for this). And you can get more cutting-edge, hard-to-provide treatments for serious illnesses, much more quickly in the United States than you can any place in the world. That was what I meant by us having the best health care. I'd frankly hate to be put on a waiting list of months or years for a simple hip replacement and I'd hate to live under a forced system of health care in which a million dollar cat scan machine taxes the system so much that the country doesn't have enough of them or a place where there are not enough qualified nurses and doctors because they have taken away every incentive to get those educations. (Everyone wave to Canada).

4) I didn't quite say "health care is expensive, so we're screwed." But feel free to characterize me that way if you like. I apologize for not complimenting the naked emperor on his lovely clothes. I simply want people to acknowledge reality. Maybe then we can come up with the best IMPERFECT solution. But first you need to get past the BS and the BS gets spouted on this message board quite often. Universal health care that takes care of the little and big things--at what is approaching 20 percent of our enormous GDP--is an impossibility. Explain where that massive amount of money comes from and I'll gladly endorse the plan. My original point on this thread is that the French have ruined their economy and made their people worse off (to the point of frequent strikes and riots) by NOT acknowledging reality. They gave people things they could not pay for and created a mess. And I get frightened by the uninformed people in our country who buy the BS being fed to them that France or England or Canada have it figured out and we need to be following their lead. Following the French is a formula for destroying our already fragile economy.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Apparently Ragu doesn't find it odd in the least that the US is the only industrialized country without universal health care.

And no, the US doesn't have the best health care system in the world.

And it's not socialized medicine, it's government funded. Big difference.

And our economy is doing fine, thank you very much.

6. The Big Ragu

Your economy is doing fine. But that is because you are not France and you don't have France's health care system. As for your health care system, though, let's talk about the services being cut because of the debt you are racking up, the waiting lists for simple operations, overcrowded emergency rooms with lengthy waits in your largest cities, your lack of qualified health care practitioners as a result of your "government funded" system (when you can't convince people to go to medical school, there just might be a reason, don't ya think?; Canada has a severe doctor shortage and the fewest MDs per capita of any industrialized nation because they have taken away every incentive to train for a health care field)... oh, and the cost of what you are paying for that mess. It is the second most costly in the world in terms of percentage of GDP and not that much less per capita than what we spend in the U.S. Oh, and there is a push to privatize, at least partially, because of the waits and shortages and dissatisfaction and failures (your particular love for it, notwithstanding).

And yes, more innovation comes out of the U.S. than Canada and more cutting-edge medical treatments are being tried here every day than each month in Canada. That's just fact. In Canada, you get on a waiting list for simple radiation treatments (apparently universality means that all you have to do is wait 4 or 5 months and someone will address your cancer... which should piss anyone off who has paid a king's ransom in taxes for that kind of treatment). In the U.S., new drugs are being developed and tested with the only government interference being controls and stage testing to make sure that the drugs work and are safe (these are the drugs and treatments that have benefited the whole world, not just the U.S.).

Why do simple facts threaten people so much? The U.S. hasn't figured this out... Neither has Canada. And Canada's warts look awfully large (as do the United States') when you take the time to look at the mess the country has created (which they can't afford, so rationing is getting even tighter), rather than pretend that the country has come up with something revolutionary that is making its people better off and taking a costly commodity and somehow making it free.

7. Here's the Mckinsey link.
    http://www.mckinsey.com/mgi/rp/healthcare/accounting_cost_healthcare.asp
    In this, you will discover that we're both right. American consumers get gouged, and we get the blame for getting gouged. Nevertheles, we ARE gouged, and the outcomes are not that different than in other countries that don't have our system.
    And the "intermediation is bad" argument is a dodge. Those intermediaries -- and the government is a minor one -- ARE the American system.
    That's also relentless pile of fact-free assertions right there. I'd like to see some nonpartisan studies on that severe Canadian doctor shortage, and, as JR will likely point out better than I, the "push to privatize" is roughly akin to "the push to privatize" Social Security in this country -- namely, a political assault by a program's longtime enemies, an upward flow of benefits to the wealthy, a further whack at the middle class, and not supported by anything near a majority of the population at large.
    I'm sure he'll cite the 2003 study that showed that the median wait time for elective surgeries in Canada was a little more than four weeks, while diagnostic tests took about three, with no wait times to speak of for emergency surgeries.
    For Americans, according to another study, it was a month and five weeks, respectively. And that doesn't even count the people who don't seek surgert, or even get diagnosed, because they don't have insurance and can't afford to pay out of pocket.
    Of course, by most measures, including health outcomes and customer satisfaction, other systems work better than ours. I would like one or two cites.

8. The Big Ragu

I'm no expert on the Canadian health care system, although obviously as you know, this as a broad topic that interests me, so I know a little bit about the government run systems of various countries. But the lack of doctors and nurses in Canada is just well-known fact. It is critical and it is a joke. Something like 5 million people can't find a family doctor. A quick google search of just CURRENT news gives you articles like these in just the last week:

http://winnipegsun.com/Comment/Editorial/2007/11/12/4649325-sun.html

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/National/2007/11/12/4649349-sun.html

http://ellsworthmaine.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11304&Itemid=1

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=774160&auth=Ann+Lukits

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Way to tell the guy who, you know, actually lives there.

10. The Big Ragu

By the way, the story in the Winnipeg paper sort of buried the lede for my purposes:

11. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

Health care is not a right. A right — by its very nature — has to come from one's self. It cannot require someone else's allowance. "I can do this," is a right. "You must give me this," is not a right. Health care is only a right in the sense that you're allowed to treat your own wounds and ailments without interference from anyone. Requiring others treat your wounds and ailments is not your right.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Priceless.

Draft saved Draft deleted