1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The free content isn't helping

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I'll never tell, Jan 8, 2011.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

According to a Pew Research Center report, released Thursday (story dated 12/30/10) ....

About 18% had paid for digital newspaper, magazine, or journal reports, but just 11% have paid for premium content when a website offers other free material.

Lifted from: http://www.fastcompany.com/1713246/internet-users-still-cheap-spend-only-1-to-10-on-digital-content

I can't say that I'm surprised by the second number. What does surprise me is that we ever had 18 percent to begin with. (and I know that 18 percent isn't just newspapers.)

Our folks harp and harp about how people "won't pay, they just won't pay." One in five is paying - maybe not alot, but they're paying.
  2. Schottey

Schottey Guest

Seems likely that the "1 in 5" are people paying for digital access to the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, ESPN...also, are "apps" included?

I've always felt that the best way to maximize paid content is to do what ESPN does. Buy the magazine, get the "insider" access for free (or, vice versa.)
  3. I'll never tell

It says that 21 percent of surveyed are buying apps, so I guess this is separate.

And yeah, I'm sure the big ones are all snatching up the bulk of the membership. But it's my take that was individual papers can give the reader which is unique should not be given away.

National news and stuff we're getting off the AP anyway, sure. Might as well be free. However, daily coverage of State U. or city council ... such as that should come free with print subscription or a small monthly fee without.
  4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Apps are a curious thing to me. I've asked execs at a couple of different papers why those are free on iPhone, iPad, etc. It seems to me, if we're offering you a platform for reading our stuff — other than just our regular, dinky website — it shouldn't be totally free. Instead, we're so afraid of pissing people off, we just give it to them for free — which seems like a rather familiar mistake. In a local market (and I mean anything smaller than Chicago, basically), who wouldn't pay $2-$5 for unlimited, slick access to the newspaper of record?
  5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Active Member

agreed...this makes the most sense to me as well
  6. flexmaster33

Pulling my hair out...just got a barrage of complaints via our website about the lack of timely content.

"Dear Sir...we no longer subscribe to the paper and are terribly disappointed in the information on your website."

You had me at "we no longer subscribe"...guess what, if you want the local news pay for it!!!

When I'm writer, editor, page designer and photographer all rolled into one...adding in web guru to the mix takes second fiddle. At some point the camel's back is going to break :)
  7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Your response, I hope, was, "You get what you pay for."
  8. I'll never tell

That's my exact theory with XM radio. I hate the local (free) crap, but I want something better. For so long, it was forced to listen to my ipod 24/7, and now I don't mind paying what I consider a small fee.
  9. Schottey

Schottey Guest

Usually (not always,) Apps are full of ads. So, you're giving the app away for free but you're pulling in ad revenue.
  10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That seems to be the way to on Android. Just look at the Angry Birds model where you pay for the iPhone and iPad version, but it's free on Android (with ads).
  11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

As for the reader complaining about the website not being updated, the reader has a point. It's not her fault content is free. And if a news website doesn't update, it will lose advertising dollars.
  12. flexmaster33

Yes, but if the newspaper values not losing those advertising dollars they need to pay for the extra hours it takes to upload website info on a consistent nightly basis...either by adding a position, paying overtime or relieving other duties in the newsroom.
Draft saved Draft deleted