1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The four TV-show food groups

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jan 17, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Shows like American Idol are a producer's dream because they're dirt cheap to put on.

Hey, and at least you guys don't have our former Prime Minister's son Ben Mulroney who hosts "Canadian Idol"

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've watched Sex and the City ... WITH the Future. Still, I'll hand in my man card at the end of the day.

I also watch Grey's. Heroes and FNL are the others on my must watch list.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with Sex and the City. Good hetero TV. :) Besides, it's got our favorite Canuck Kim Cattrall. What's not to like?

However, if you're sitting around watching Oprah or Dr. Phil, then yes, you're mancard is permantly revoked.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Can't miss: Grey's
    I get it: Two and a half men
    Watch it w/wife: Desperate Housewives
    No: Reba

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

See here's the thing. I never understood the appeal of a glorified karaoke contest.

I like unscripted drama. It's why I watch sports. Some "episodes" are bad. Some "episodes" are run of the mill. But then you get "episodes" like Texas-Oklahoma State last night, Phoenix-Memphis or Washington-Utah on Monday or San Diego-New England on Sunday. And it's why I keep coming back.

Athletes do remarkable things all the time, maybe so much that we take it for granted. And that's why I'd rather watch Gilbert Arenas or Sidney Crosby or Tom Brady over someone singing a song that was performed way better years ago or eating cockroaches or drinking sheep blood.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Some good stuff? Sure. But not when Erica Sillyus is on. The very sound of his voice almost makes me drive off the road.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a can't-miss TV show.
    And I won't hurry home to watch any TV show.
    If my GF wants to watch something that I'm not interested in, I'll nap, read or do something else.
    TV just doesn't play much of a role.
    I like to watch movies. I like to watch sports. I like to watch the History Channel, especially specials about ancient history. That's about it.
    I used to like the Food Network, but I don't watch it anymore.
    TV? Boring, Sidney!

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My can't-miss right now:

Sun: Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters
    Mon: 2 1/2 Men, Studio 60
    Tue: House, Boston Legal
    Wed: Friday Night Lights
    Thu: Grey's Anatomy

Wow, that's a lot. Well, I like TV.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

There should be a fifth category: Guilty Pleasures. Idol would fit comfortably there. So would Howie Mandel's game show -- as well as Top Model, Beauty and the Geek, Trump....many others.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I don't really know what I can't miss. I TiVo pretty much everything that looks interesting and usually, by the end of the week, watch all of it. I guess I can give the list of shows I'm up to date on.

Sun: Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters (Easily one of my top five shows), The Apprentice, The Sopranos, Big Love/The Wire
    Mon: Heroes, 24, Prison Break, Studio 60
    Tues: Boston Legal, House, AI, Dirt/The Shield/Rescue Me/Nip/Tuck.
    Wed: Friday Night Lights, Medium, Lost, Jericho
    Thur: Ugly Betty, Earl, The Office, Scrubs, 30 Rock, Grey's, Men in Trees, Shark
    Fri: Las Vegas, Justice

Seems like a shitload, but with TiVo, it's not much of a problem. Me and my wife sat down at almost 9 p.m. tonight to watch TV. We got in all of a two-hour AI and Medium by just after 11.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I do, without regret.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Top Chef rocks.

Draft saved Draft deleted