1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The four TV-show food groups

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jan 17, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

In a discussion about -- what else? -- "American Idol," Eric Kuselias threw up a pretty interesting theory today on ESPN Radio. He said he could fit any prime-time show into one of four groups. Now, I don't agree with some of the shows he put into the various groups, but the groups sound pretty good.

Keep in mind, this is totally a manview here. A little bit macho. But, pretty good food for thought.

1. The can't-miss. Someone can always be counted on to say this show is the best on TV. And if you don't watch it, that's OK, but you will be left on the outside of some of the water-cooler talk. Examples: 24, The Office, The Sopranos.

2. You get it, and it's good. You can afford to miss it, but you try not to. It is part of the pop culture. Examples: Lost, Earl, Two and a Half Men.

3. You watch it with your girlfriend to keep the peace. You don't miss poker night to see it; you don't hurry home from work to watch it by yourself. But it's not painful, and there are some good things about it. Examples: Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives.

4. No. Just no. If you watch these shows, turn in your man card. Examples: Sex and the City, Ghost Whisperer.

Most of the trouble I have with the examples are in the lower levels. I legitimately like Grey's and DH, and I enjoyed Sex and the City when it was on. I'm cutting up my man card now.

The whole point Kuselias eventually made was this: American Idol is the one show he can't easily slip into one group. In fact, a case could be made for it going in any one of the four groups.

Can't miss? Yeah; if you don't watch it, you're out of the loop a little bit. Watch if you can? Many feel that way. Watch with your girlfriend? Again, you don't register 42 million viewers without a lot of that happening. And if you think this is an affront to good music everywhere, you might vote for No. 4.

So anyway ... what are some other examples, and where do they fall? And what do you disagree with in the original examples?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you watch American Idol, turn in your man card.

Also, your intelligent, sentient being card.

Sorry.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Even Top Chef?

OK, OK, I'm cutting it up.

5. I admit to watching The Duel. Deal with it.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And why in the hell is American Idol even being discussed on ESPN? Can't they go back to giving oral satisfaction to their latest NBA or NFL fave?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ellis, I like my beer cold, my black confidantes Irish and my homosexuals FLAMING!

We should get along peachy...

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Some of the best stuff on sports talk radio isn't sports-related. And yes, there is some good stuff.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not if American Idiot is the topic on which they're blathering.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

42 million, AA. You can't ignore it.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yes.

Yes you can.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I hate reality television and have not watched more than one episode of any reality show since "The Real World" starred Puck and Pedro's homoerotic man dances.

Reality television makes me feel uncomfortable and embarrased for those on screen.

Draft saved Draft deleted