1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead ending anonymous comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I like the idea, but do papers that do this also stop allowing anonymous sources to appear in stories.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/337362/

2. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

freedom ENC (and maybe all) papers made this switch -- allowing facebook users only to comment -- a while back. it seems to have reduced fools, as well as overall comments.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Don't know, but those are similar yet not identical situations. You certainly can't equate the two, if what you mean is unnamed (in the story) sources. I don't know any paper that would quote an anonymous source.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

For the last time, they're not "anonymous" sources. Someone knows who they are and with most newspapers it's at least the reporter and maybe a couple of his editors. Anonymous posters are another matter.

5. maberger

maberger Member

they are not 'anonymous' sources. also: "we have been conflicted with ..." Seriously?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This. "Anonymous sources" aren't.

If somebody wants to comment on a story, make them meet the letter-to-the-editor standard.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Should newspapers allow unnamed comments, then, as long as they know the identity of commentors?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to mention, the sources are (usually) giving out valuable information that they would not be able to give if they are named.

Anonymous posters aren't giving out valuable information. They're just spouting their opinion.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just think it's amazing the publisher wants others to use real names when he is unwilling to do so in his other line of work. The funny thing is the newspaper used to use his stage name when they used to write articles on him without any note that he is the owner's son.

I believe a big reason for the change was the negative comments whenever a former TV newscaster-turned-columnist with a recent DUI arrest had anything on the website.

Draft saved Draft deleted