1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The forgotten victims of the finanical crisis: The Wall Street Wives

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Oct 26, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What a cliche.

This is one story, about one woman, who was six months pregnant and having a mastectomy on the day Lehman folded.

And the only other wife in the story was happy to be scaling back. Cheap story.

2. Strange.
    I thought I'd left that empathy lying around here someplace...

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I really feel sorry for that one wife. She has to cancel magazine subscriptions and the expensive cable!

A better reality show would be to have these wives temporarily become the wife of a journalist.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

agreed, 21. Totally undersourced.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The first woman seems very materialistic. They made terrible financial decisions no wonder they are now broke. Making enough money to give away $5,000 gifts and so on, but they sell their house for an apartment and then put the money back into the markets.

Now they lost it all, pay rent instead of investing in themselves with some property.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you can't live on 200K and keep your house in Colonia, New Jersey, you're a freaking idiot.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whew, trophy wives can breathe a sigh of relief -- well, unless the bankers they dumped are attending these parties where they can meet a new one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/fashion/09fmeetf.html?_r=1&ref=business

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Let's put these rats, for that is what they are, in a laboratory and treat them as such. Oh, and take away their money for they are now lab property, and our lifestyle budget for them will be, well, different....

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Get used to it, that's what passes for journalism. Even the NYT story that turned out to be a hoax was better written than this.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Just invite all these beeches to a congressional social. Those who aren't single or in marital distress are probably looking for concubines.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Between the update on the shallow chicks who only date six-figure earners (of which I tolerated four paragraphs) and the story on the hipsters letting themselves go (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/fashion/13POTBELLY.html?_r=3&scp=1&sq=hip%20to%20be%20round&st=cse?no_interstitial), fashion journalism (such as it is) makes me sick. Perhaps it's a cultural disconnect, but surely there are more worthy stories in New York than these, stories truly worthy of the already thinning manpower at the Times.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The NY Times has the douche beat covered. I don't know what's worse, fashion journalism or tech journalism. Tech journalism these days is similar with everyone going to parties and no one asks hard questions because they won't be invited back.

Draft saved Draft deleted