1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the forgotten american dead: rural america paying the ultimate price in iraq

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jan 28, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's not that I'm optimistic. I'm just not cynical.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's not about cynicism, man, it's realism.

3. three_bags_full

And the reality is -- even if it is/was an illegal invasion, the wrong decision by the worst president ever, etc. -- that we're there, we're sending more troops, and leaving ain't on the table right now, no matter how many non-binding resolutions cross Madame Speaker's desk.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

September 17, 1862: 23,000 American casualties at Antietam, Maryland.
    June 6, 1944: US losses: 1465 dead, 3184 wounded, 1928 missing and 26 captured.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Foederal casualties at Antietam are faulty, believed to be much more on both sides.

Just as in the Middle Eastern country shaped like a boot.

We'll never know.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hitting the "If-it's-difficult-we-should-run-away" jackals with facts will just get you ridicule.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The reality also is: we the people do not WANT to send more troops over there. We want the men and women over there now to come home. Now.

8. For a great power to still consider itself to be a great power, it has to win one of these wars at least once in a while.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is a "war" only in Cheney and Rummy's minds.

There was no declaration. There is no war.

10. three_bags_full

Well, it's not going to happen anytime soon, no matter how much we want it. And, believe me, I want it, too.

Thus, cynicism and criticism and 10,000-man protests aren't doing any good.

All this stuff Congress is talking now is BULLSHIT. When they've had enough and decide to grow a set of balls, they'll cut the funding. Until then, they can all have a frosty cup of shut the fuck up on me.

11. Clintonian semantics?

12. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

If you're not cynical, you're not a reporter. That's what I get paid for. Stenographers are not reporters. I believe nothing and challenge everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted