1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Force Awakens" (with SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it's going to be bad because I've read how the kid who plays Han is such a terrible actor, they made a point to pretty much hide him in the teaser, and I know about all the reshoots ... but I'm still open to being surprised and I hope it's awesome (I'm pinning my hopes on Chewie and Donald Glover as Lando).

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is Solo a comedy? Trailer was crap, just a bunch of pictures of Star Wars toys and closeups of the three stars saying nothing. And a Chewbacca roar.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm a little worried about Emilia Clarke's ability to stand up in a Star Wars movie but that trailer was good. There's going to be a lot of expectations on this movie and the trailer was a decent start. It looks fun hope it pans out.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think expectations are quite low at this point.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

With the director change and reshoots, I'll buy that. That said this is still Star Wars and it's Han Solo. Fans may be cautious going in, but they'll still be wanting a movie true to the franchise and will, for better or worse, use it as a bell weather for future installments.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

bigpern23 and spikechiquet like this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Good stuff on the “Last Movie”’ thread. But decided to post here.

Finally saw Last Jedi for a second time. Think I liked it more the second time. Still a bit too long. But not many wasted movements.

Only thing that still doesn’t really work is Flying Space Leia. They could have put her in a coma and showed her Force ability in a better way.

Mostly, I thought Hamill was at his best. And Adam Driver and Daisy Riddley were both very good making the split-screen projection scenes work. That could have really fallen flat.

And I love that the cycle seems to be broken. They can go anywhere now. Which was the whole point.

The discussion on the movie thread is a good one. How in the hell is this going to be wrapped up in one more movie?

If they can pull that off, it’ll be one helluva movie.

Meanwhile, I’m still skeptical of the standalone Solo flick.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Things I never knew - The Millenium Falcon is about 30 yards long (and about as wide) and the original Death Star was about 60 miles across. (Also, some college students once figured out it would cost about 13x the total global GDP to build. )

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

So, the full-length trailer for Solo is out. Trailer seems good, but its easy to make a trailer look good.

Dig the music.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I saw it last night. It looks decent and they at least seem to have captured some of the relationship between Han and Chewbacca, but I'm going to be going in with low expectations.

Also, the more...vocal...fans seem to be upset about the look of the Falcon, especially the front. I just think it's funny that the thing looks like a dirty piece of junk 10 years later. That must have been a hell of a 10 years.

12. Deskgrunt50

Hey, if someone doesn’t clean their house or car for 10 years, it’ll look pretty shabby.

Draft saved Draft deleted