1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Force Awakens" (with SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, Han Solo was obviously a fairly long time regular in the Mos Eisley Cantina, so it stands to reason he'd have some kind of history with some of the other denizens, such as Dr. Cornelius Evazan. Talk about a tailor made role for Clint.

[​IMG]

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He showed up in "Rogue One," so I think it would be a bit of overkill for a bit character such as him to end up in yet another film.

Nobody will ever describe Ron Howard as edgy or avant garde, but the man just makes damn good movies. "Apollo 13" is probably his most well known (and deservedly so), but "Rush" is probably his best work. That's a great fucking movie that most people haven't seen.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Rush is a fantastic flick.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This sounds promising to me. With no knowledge, my thought was Disney/LucasFilm was pushing back because the film was kind of dark and edgy.

Your info seems to indicate the opposite. A young Han Solo should be bitter and jaded.

He shot first!

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Both The Force Awakens and Rogue One give me hope that we will see a proper version of Han Solo. The character a decent man who had become cynical and selfish through his experiences. It took his time with the Rebellion and his relationships with Chewbacca, Luke and Leia to bring him out of all that.]

That is one reason I hate that crap with Greedo so much. Solo is supposed to be morally lost when he is first introduced. His redemption is a huge part of the character's story. Aside from the fact that it looked like shit, having Greedo shoot first took a bit of that away.

That said, he still went back to life as a criminal after his son's turn. We saw that in Force Awakens. We also saw that the current powers that be are willing to show us the flaws in protagonists and their allies in Rogue One. If there was any doubt, it should have been removed when Caspian murdered a Rebel spy rather than allow him to be captured.

bigpern23 and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  6. Starman

Han shot first. Han SHOULD have shot first.

What the fuck, he was supposed to sit there and let Greedo blow his head off? Fuck Greedo.

heyabbott and bigpern23 like this.
  7. Starman

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Fate of ‘The Last Jedi’ Is in His Hands

This makes me feel like they are making this all up as they go along, and I don't like that.

How much of the story of “The Last Jedi” was dictated to you, either by events in “The Force Awakens” or by Lucasfilm?

I had figured there would be a big map on the wall with the whole story laid out, and it was not that at all. I was basically given the script for “Episode VII;” I got to watch dailies of what J. J. was doing. And it was like, where do we go from here? That was awesome.

So there’s no one telling you that your film has to contain certain plot points, or that certain things have to be achieved by its end?

Nothing like that. But it’s the second film in a trilogy. The first film got these characters here. This second movie has to dig into and challenge these characters. I wanted this to be a satisfying experience unto itself. I didn’t want it to end with a dot, dot, dot, question mark.

“The Force Awakens” left you with many significant unanswered questions: Who are Rey’s parents? Why did Luke flee? Who is the mysterious villain, Supreme Leader Snoke? To the extent that “The Last Jedi” answers any of them, did you feel obliged to consult with J. J.?

If I had questions — what did you think this was going to be? What were your ideas for this? — I could always ask him. But those questions only address what these characters want and how they get there.

Take the question of who Rey’s parents are: If you get the information — oh, it’s that! — who really cares? I know a lot of people care, but it’s interesting as opposed to impactful. Now, what is my place in the world? Where do I come from? Where do I belong? O.K., I understand what the weight of that is. We could play with those questions and their answers to have the biggest emotional impact on these characters.

9. Starman

Well, I'm sure any directors who enter the film series have to stay within certain parameters.

I'd guess they need approval right from the top of the top brass to kill off any central characters. There was plenty of discussion from JJ about his big bombshell in TFA -- he had to clear it all the way to the top.

And while I'm sure they'll fiddle with some of the backstory canon, most of the main points are probably untouchable, for instance, Rian Johnson can't go back and reveal Luke/Leia weren't really Anakin's children.

I'd guess this all has to do with what Treverrow wanted to do in IX.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

11. Starman

I'd guess a combination of all of the above: the big brass wasn't happy with some of Treverrow's script decisions, and he got huffy when they told him so.

Since the production process of IX is still in the fairly early stages, they decided to pull the ejection handle now.

JRoyal and sgreenwell like this.
  12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think that nails it right on the head. They're early enough Kennedy just didn't want to mess with it and end up replacing the director deeper into the process like they had to with the Han Solo movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted