1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Force Awakens" (with SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Loved it. I quote it all the time.
    'We are No. 1. All others are No. 2 or lower.'

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Denis Lawson, who for 30- some years had taken a very apathetic/dismissive attitude to the whole SW phenomenon, showed up with big smiles at last weekends big blast in Orlando, which I would guess could signal a surprise appearance by Wedge Antilles in Ep. 8 or 9.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had no idea he is Scottish, nor that he is Ewan McGregor's uncle, until I just heard him speak and Googled him.

4. Starman

According to McGregor, Uncle Wedge really leaned on him not to take the role of Obi-Wan. Lawson is backtracking on that to some extent, now that he's making happy-happy at SW conventions.

Funny thing is, now that Lawson himself is seventyish, he himself is a close enough match for Alec Guinness Obi-Wan, they could probably get away with subbing HIM in as Obi-Wan a year or two before the Events of ANH.

Maybe the much-rumored Kenobi standalone movie could be done in a Godfather II dual timeline format, opening with Obi-Wan in middle age, maybe 10 years after ROTS, then an epilogue scene set 8-10 years later, a couple years before ANH, with seventyish Lawson as Obi-Wan wearily looking forward to his big final test.

At least a secondary subplot of any Kenobi movie would have to be an explanation of the big falling-out between him and Owen Lars.

Obviously Owen was agreeable enough about taking the infant Luke at the end of ROTS. What happened in the intervening 18-20 years to turn him against Obi-Wan so completely?

I'd guess it might have something to do with the disappearance of Cliegg Lars from the scene.

And in ANH, Owen certainly seems to be aware of what happened to Anakin Skywalker.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    bigpern23 and SFIND like this.
  5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I still have the movie poster. I think this came out when I was in college. Been a while since I've watched it.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I haven't watched the show, but I think they've detailed some of his activity between ROTS and ANH on "Star Wars: Rebels."
    Not sure what or how much ground they've covered, but it might have included some of what you suggest.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought it was just the one episode, but there is also a novel Kenobi, which covers some of that time period. I believe that is still canon.

8. Starman

What with "Rogue One," the upcoming Young Han Solo solo movie and then hot rumors of either a Kenobi or Darth Vader solo movie coming up on the slate the next several years, there will be a whole new "Middle Trilogy" (if not quadrology) added to the saga by 2022-23.

So the interlude between Eps 3-4 will become the best documented time span in the whole saga.

Remember, back in 1980 or so when the whole thing was getting off the ground, Lucas originally said he envisioned a 12-part series.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've just been vaguely aware of what's going on from some online recaps, so like I said I'm not sure how much he's been in the show, but "Rebels" is canon. I know he had another showdown with Darth Maul, who is/was a major player on that show. Not sure how much Kenobi was in it leading up to that.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I knew it was canon and I knew about the fight with Darth Maul. (I saw it on YouTube if you are curious how that turned out).

What I'm not sure of is whether or not the novel Kenobi is canon.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think I said something earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating: A Vader anthology movie would be pointless and stupid. We know his story, and we know it from start to finish across six films. Any anthology film centered on Vader would just be fanboi masturbation.

12. Starman

Well, they're all "fanboi masturbation" to some extent.

Remember, Rogue One is based almost completely on the drunken college-dorm rant of the late 70s: "If the Empire is such fiendish ruthless powerful and relentless killers, why the hell did they design a Death Star with a 'Hit This Reactor Port And The Whole Thing Blows Up' fatal weakness in it?" Well, 40 years later, now we know.

Given the rapturous response to Vader's two minutes in 'Rogue One,' my bet is he will make similar brief-but-thunderous appearances in both the Han Solo movie and any possible Kenobi film.

Part of the Kenobi film would have to be answering the two drunken-fanboi questions: 1, How the hell did Obi-Wan get away with hiding young Luke in plain sight on the Lars Ranch, the closest thing he had to a 'family' in the Galaxy, and 2, What was the genesis of the grudge Owen Lars has for Obi-Wan?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted