1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Force Awakens" (with SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm only on ep. 2 of The Mandalorian and I already love it.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anyone else think Chapter 4 was a pretty terrible episode? I know the show is described as a Western set in space, but directly ripping off the entire plot of "The Magnificent Seven" (which itself directly ripped off "Seven Samurai") seemed a bit much. It looked cool, but it was hard to get past such an unoriginal plot.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I admittedly saw Magnificent 7 once about a thousand years ago and don’t remember much. So, I thought the episode was great. I think the third is the best so far though.

One person’s ripoff is another person’s homage.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Exactly what I thought.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Also, it would be the Magnificent 2....and toddler Yoda....with another frog!

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. bigpern23

I'm OK with an homage. I generally like to see how films influence other directors. But this was a point-by-point remake set in space and trimmed for time. If you've seen (and remember) "The Magnificent Seven," "Seven Samurai," or hell, even "The Three Amigos," you knew exactly how this episode was going to go almost from the jump.

7. outofplace

I do get your point about predictability. My only question was if one of the two women was going to die because they certainly aren't killing the Mandalorian or toddler Yoda.

8. Deskgrunt50

To a certain extent, most entertainment is kinda predictable, particularly Star Wars stuff. Big themes and storylines have been repeated forever. I guess not remembering The Magnificent Seven in this case was a benefit to me.

I definitely see the point that you're annoyed if it takes you out of the moment. Just didn't happen for me on this one.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    bigpern23 likes this.
  9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

You guys are such fuckin' dorks.*

*Getting Disney+ for Christmas for the spawn. Goddamn, I can't wait to watch that.

10. Deskgrunt50

Chapter 5 of Mandalorian is loaded from start to finish with nostalgia from the movies. And Amy Sedaris in a Sigourney Weaver Alien wig. Good stuff. Only three left in the first season.

Assuming the mystery character at the end is Giancarlo Esposito. Plays a Imperial Moff after the fall of the Empire.

11. outofplace

I didn't realize it had dropped. I know what I'm doing with part of my evening now.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. bigpern23

Another terrible episode. Hope they turn it around because the show looks so damn good, but these storylines are awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted