1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The flip side of King Felix winning the Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Also of note, the Atlanta Braves paid Derek Lowe $15 million to have a season of almost identical effectiveness, albeit in more innings and starts.
    He was 16-12.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA. Where's MY money?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No, you aren't. Your ERA is undefined.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Even better. I have a HUGE upside.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Baseball, among all the team sports, grotesquely overpays for marginal players. So I guess I can't say anything surprises me anymore.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It certainly doesn't overpay for marginal players as much as it used to. Those guys are unemployed now, because teams realize they can get the same production for a fraction of the price with pre-arbitration-eligible players. No more overpaying for "veteran leadership."

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He made 21 starts, barely topped 100 innings. He was on the DL twice. Even if he's average, that's worth a $1.5 million raise?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes, because the system is set up to intentionally underpay players in their first few years in the majors, and as compensation they are generally paid a lot more in years 4-6.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fixed.

10. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Reading the headline, I thought this was a thread about the M's signing Felix's older brother, who doesn't appear to be more than AA material at best.

11. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Though Lowe has more upside than Ohlendorf. You pay money based on how you project the players will perform, not on how they actually perform. Of course, Ohlendorf does have this: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1165301/index.htm.

Draft saved Draft deleted