1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Five Greatest Basketball Player of All-Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jun 21, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Who was right-handed

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jeez. That is exactly what I was thinking! I actually fired up the google to see how he hit against Johnson. Johnson held him to 62 points below his lifetime batting average, but Ruth still batted .280 against him in 107 at bats with 7 HRs.

I don't think a Walter Johnson or a Randy Johnson are the mark of an era. I'd be more interested in how different the quality farther down pitching spectrum was -- if at all.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I bet Niedenfuer would've owned Babe lol

4. CD Boogie

Considering how few teams were in the league, I'd guess the quality was pretty high.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The fewer teams is a consideration. But the U.S. population was much smaller. Also no blacks, as people keep pointing out. And few, if any, international players. Also, economic realities that made it less likely to identify and develop potentially good players.

One thing I suspect is that the quality of the players was better than a lot of people today assume.

6. CD Boogie

I just re-read Glory of Their Times, and it's really astounding what a crapshoot it was in terms of guys getting discovered or choosing to become a player. Pre-Ruth, it wasn't a respectable, well-paying profession. He had a lot to do with changing that.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

More germane to the discussion, let's see him step up against 1999-2000 Pedro.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't forget, it was in Ruth's time Branch Rickey invented the farm system. Before that, luck and an occasional scout's individual skill really were the keys to player acquisition. That, and finding a good player on a minor league team that really needed money in a hurry.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The exact moment these discussions become useless is the moment I started the thread. But it was raining at the beach resort I am staying at.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Magic set us
    Magic created many a jump shot. And Magic Johnson was probably the most athletic 6' 9" basketball player ever when he broke into the league in 1979. But I think James is better. James is almost the same height but stronger and faster. I think if James was playing on the Lakers in the 80's he could have played point guard and the Lakers would have won just many titles. I don't think Magic had the scoring skills to lead some of the really bad Cavs teams LeBron played on to the success they had. I think LeBron's greatest achievement was leading the 2009 Cavs to 66 wins.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They used to be short because you couldn't make millions in endorsement deals and still do it.

Allowing Olympians to be paid has simply reduced the number of athletes who get to be in the Olympics and receive the best training from the best coaches.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's a couple other stories about that nigh that I saw in an AP story looking back. One was that both teams had just gotten bored by doing their nightly routines and just started playing legit for most of the game. The other was that the next night, the Reds came in all happy and got destroyed by 60 points.

Also, Marques Haynes and Goose Tatum belong on that list. Haynes was their first fancy dribbler and Tatum was their first primary clown.

I've been to a couple of shows where the Trotters have won on a last-second dunk. I've thought that they're awfully lucky their guy doesn't screw it up.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted