1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Five Greatest Basketball Player of All-Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jun 21, 2017.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is what makes me laugh when writers get on their high horse about steroids.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The major difference between that Babe Ruth thing and players who used steroids is that Babe Ruth had no control over who he played against. I am not a fan of asterisks, but I hate strained equivalencies. If you were going to penalize players with asterisks, in my opinion it shouldn't be over things they had no control over.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The so called steroid era was as level a playing field as any other era in baseball.

4. The Big Ragu

I didn't say anything about whether the steroid era was a level playing field. I said that players who use banned drugs make a choice for themselves. Babe Ruth had no choice about who he played against.

You said that Babe Ruth equivalency makes you laugh when "writers get on their high horse about steroids." If someone thinks that players who used steroids cheated, maybe you disagree. But I don't understand why that strained equivalency makes you laugh. Babe Ruth wasn't the one who kept blacks out of baseball. A player who used steroids did choose to do the thing those writers are on their "high horse" about.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that George Herman Ruth was not one of the best five basketball players of all time.

6. The Big Ragu

But the guy in the middle was.

[​IMG]

Michael_ Gee and Captain_Kirk like this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Asterisks are not always "punishment."

8. The Big Ragu

When you put an asterisk next to a name in a sports record book, you are telling the person that his achievement is somehow marred or tainted or not worthy of standing alone. Call it whatever you want. I actually didn't call it punishment -- why the quotation marks?

I suspect anyone who gets an asterisk next to their name in a record book views it as punishment. They are certainly being penalized.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, yes, I would tell Babe Ruth his accomplishment is different than, say, Hank Aaron's or Willie Mays'.

In my mind, it's not a value judgement because, as you said, segregation wasn't Babe's decision. But it is different.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Let's see Babe Ruth step up to the plate against Randy Johnson.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He did OK against Walter Johnson.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I think he'd be OK

upload_2017-6-22_14-42-55.png

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted