1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Five Greatest Basketball Player of All-Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jun 21, 2017.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

1. Jordan
    2. James
    3. Abdul-Jabbar
    4. Bird
    5. Magic

I am picking Jordan over James because MJ was a better jump shooter and could dominate a game offensively in a way I don't think James quite does.

James is number two because no one has had his combination of size and athleticism. James is not as good a shooter as Bird but he is the best slasher in basketball history.

I am picking Abdul-Jabbar because Russell was a 44% field goal shooter and a 56% foul shooter. I just can't pick someone as limited offensively as Russell. Kareem is also five inches taller. I watched Chamberlain in the last part of his career and he was not as athletic as Abdul-Jabbar. If I had seen Wilt earlier in his career before he had some surgeries and was reportedly more athletic I might feel differently. One fact that influences my thinking is that Chamberlain and Rusell played in a time when a good big man could dominate more easily.

I picked Bird over Magic for the same reasons I picked Jordan over James. Bird could create more with his jump shot than Magic.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

1. LaVar Ball
    2. Eerbody else

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1. Meadowlark Lemon
    2. Curly Neal
    3. Sweet Lou Dunbar
    4. Bubblegum Tate
    5. Nate Branch

They're the best. Period. Not only did they never lose a game, they fought crime, were superheroes, and even saved the universe a time or two.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Like your list. So tough to narrow down. Wilt, Shaq, Kobe, Russell, Dr. J. and the Big O have a case.

Finally watched all of the Lakers-Celtics 30 for 30. Well done. I miss that NBA. Ten Hall of Famers in that rivalry.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

FAKE NEWS! The Globetrotters lost one.

From Wiki:

The (Washington Generals) have one recorded victory against the Globetrotters. Playing as the "New Jersey Reds", they won 100–99 on January 5, 1971 in Martin, Tennessee, ending their 2,495-game losing streak. Klotz credits the overtime win to a guard named Eddie Mahar, who was team captain.[6] Harlem's captain, Curly Neal, did not play in this game.[7]

While the Globetrotters were entertaining the crowd that day, they lost track of the game and the score. They found themselves down 12 points with two minutes left to go. Forced to play normal basketball, the Globetrotters rallied but could not recover.[8]

The Reds secured their victory when Klotz hit the winning basket with seconds left. Then Meadowlark Lemon missed a shot that would have given the game back to the Globetrotters. The timekeeper tried to stop the clock and couldn't. When the final buzzer sounded, the crowd was dumbfounded and disappointed.[9]Klotz described the fans' reaction: "They looked at us like we killed Santa Claus."

Some children in the stands cried after the loss.[7] The Reds celebrated by dousing themselves with orange pop instead of champagne. Lemon was furious, saying, "You lost, I didn't lose," but still visited the opposing team’s locker room to congratulate the Reds.

Washington Generals - Wikipedia

lcjjdnh and Batman like this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I hope a desk guy didn't start this thread. Otherwise, not sure I'd trust his judgment for "the five greatest basketball player of all-time" or his headline/editing skills.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That was the first thing I noticed too, but I was reluctant to point it out. We should be more charitable. Maybe "five players" is meant as a team, and we should use the plural singular, or whatever it is..."The best team are....":)

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Fortunately I am not a desk guy. And could the mods moves this off the journalism thread. I guess I will have to live with the bad headline. Sorry.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hot takes

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

1. Jordan
    2. LeBron
    3. Magic
    4. Wilt
    5. Oscar

And, since no one asked, my next 5:

6. Russell
    7. Bird
    8. Duncan
    9. Kareem
    10. Kobe

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For me it's Magic/Kareem/Jordan/Lebron/Wilt, in any order. Honestly, I could argue for any of them at number one.

Draft saved Draft deleted