1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The five best writers, period.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am never able to answer this question, although I have my favorites, because 1) writing is such a matter of taste (example:Simmons is super popular and deservedly so, but I hate reading him), and 2) It's Any Given Sunday. There are days when Dan Jenkins is the best writer ever,and days when Sally is. There were days at big events when everybody sent columnist (remember that?) when I felt I had done one of the five best jobs or better and days when I felt they ought to fire me for the good of journalism. I bet every writer has the felt the same each way.

Tweener and Doc Holliday like this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That is the highest drug high the vocation offers- that no one on Earth is seeing this story with as much acuity as you are.
    And like the highest drug high, often fleeting and diminishing.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Spoken like a real journalist.

Tweener likes this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Eleana is busy posting racy pics on Instagram from her beach front house in Boca Raton. Mom's money appears to have healed all wounds so far.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Ya know, I did look Eleana up on Facebook six months ago, and saw that yes, she's pretty hot and pretty social media happy.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Two writers doing exceptional work are Scott Cacciola of NYT and Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post. I don't really care about the Knicks or the Nationals, but these days I read everything those guys write.

I find Sally Jenkins a more interesting and compelling read than any other columnist working today. I can't really speak to her dad's work as a journalist since I didn't start reading him until he was the elder statesman at all the golf majors, but his novels have mostly been funny as hell.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Svrluga is outstanding.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Sure, that's what gives the story its power. Better to leave the crowd wanting more than to leave it wanting less.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

How would you like to teach longform?

10. swingline

Only if you can put me up in Missoula.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You kiddin? Instagram selfies are a damn cry for help. I worry about the people who post them all the time, to be frank.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. swingline

Draft saved Draft deleted