1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The five best writers, period.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Five Guys? Isn't that a burger chain?

My List:

Mike Royko, Lewis Grizzard, Jeff Passan, Mitch Albom and Rick Reilly.

***Note: Anyone who thinks Gregg Doyel is worth two shits, no, make that one shit, loses all credibility. Total hack that preys on emotional outbursts and clickbait. Would rather eat a double-shit sandwich than read his garbage.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is a guy who swears by Colin Cowherd.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Hack who preys. Not that preys, unless you are depersonifying him.

4. YorksArcades

CC's book (or perhaps one of his books) is chock-full of factual and contextual errors.

5. Doc Holliday

Never said a word about Colin Cowherd's books, so KMA. And I don't swear by Cowherd. I enjoy his opinions.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  6. YorksArcades

So you are a CC fan? I was just bringing up the book thing to rip on CC. (Also, I think this thread is a well-worn topic and sort of useless, as "good" writing is highly subjective.)

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kiss my ass. Kiss his ass. Kiss your ass. Merry Christmas.

8. Doc Holliday

Yeah, I like him. I like to hear what he thinks and I agree more often than not.

9. YorksArcades

I also would be interested in knowing more. The troubles of the wealthy often keep me awake at night.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That's part of the power of the story. You get this brief, but extremely illuminating, portrait of a teen beauty queen and the forces that shaped her, then it ends in a haunting way. She's never going to get to escape this psycho. Even the camp, which taught her so much about how the other half lives, couldn't bring about much change in her life because Crazy Mom is still digging her nails into Eleana's arm. I think it was super brave to end the story that way. I'm sure Eleana's mom threw an epic tantrum. But it was very real.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I knew this thread would get fun when the disagreements began.
    I think it's funny that Doyel- the guy who stalked readers- is now a total mensch.
    He's become Albom with a mohawk.

KVV33 likes this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Fuck that smarmy little piece of filth. He's everything that's wrong with journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted