1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The five best writers, period.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 16, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dave Eggers is it for me. The most important writer of my generation.

I'd also give another vote to Eli Saslow.

After that, in no order, Charlie Pierce and Lauren Hillenbrand.

I'm at loss for the fifth, but maybe Gary Smith, maybe Scotty Price, maybe Tom Junod, maybe Katherine Boo.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am sure I will want to make some replacements when others pop into my head, and feeling guilty no women on my list, but. ...

Simon Winchester -- Has done it all. Newspapers, major magazines, fantastic books. My favorite writers have really lived -- and he has lived about 10 lives, I think.

Gary Smith -- with Moddy. The gold standard. Not just a great sports magazine writer; just a great magazine writer.

Dexter Filkins -- I am in awe of wartime journalists in general, and he's the best.

James Suroweicki -- mostly because he is a supersmart guy.

Dave Eggers -- was thinking it, and then saw Jay post it. Not sure about most important writer of my generation, but makes the list for knowing how to entertain better than most using words.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Taibbi.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Co-sign the TM duo of Hollandsworth and Vine. They're fantastic.

5. Songbird

I've grown to like Doyel even if I don't read his every column. Sees it different, Writes it different.

Tweener likes this.
  6. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

I just remember Doyel being rabid, so I rarely invest the time. Also, Star = Gannett = journalistic poison.

I guess if I bothered to make a list, Eggers would be on it. But for different reasons.

7. Songbird

As for this haunt of scribblers, YF above anyone else. It's a joy to watch him make so much skin here itch. He's a fun read when he digs in.

And hey, yo, why don't you go fix a coffee machine, mister coffee machine repairman! !11!!!11!!

YankeeFan and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  8. Songbird

Was a 3-year period I loved what MacGregor brought to ESPN. Nobody wrote it like he did. He jumped into a different ring of fire, older dog, new refined literary interests, and I haven't read too many of his recent pieces.

Kind of like when Oasis broke up, was difficult to follow their new stuff individually. Wasn't Oasis; Wasn't the same impact.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same. He's a fantastic writer. Sadly, I don't come across his stuff nearly as often since he moved to Indy. That's on me, though. I've done a complete 180 on him over the last 6-7 years. I remember one time blasting him (for probably no good reason) on here and he apparently saw it and called me out when he was on a local radio show in my area. I think it was IJAG who brokered the peace treaty between us, and we've been friendly ever since. Terrific, terrific dude. Glad I wised up.

I hope that asshole doesn't see this. :)

10. JayFarrar

Didn't he challenge you to go three rounds with him in the ring?

And even if that isn't true, that's the way I remember it and it makes for a better story that way.

Doyel's piece on the soccer mom a couple, three weeks ago was epic. Fourth time* a sports story made me cry.

Edit: Maybe third time, on reflection, I can only remember two other occasions. My Blue Heaven by Plaschke and a wire story on a New Year's Day bowl by some AP drone. I believe it was Washington in the Rose Bowl and a player who had been paralyzed came out with the team.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ha. Thankfully, he did not. But there is video of him "fighting" some former UFC fighter for charity.

He also wrote a tremendous piece a while back on his friend who lost her battle with cancer.

12. JayFarrar

Getting challenged to a fight by Doyel was like a badge of honor around here for a time.

Akin to being insulted by Whitlock or DoubleDown assigning you a Muppet character.

Draft saved Draft deleted