1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The five best writers, period.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 16, 2015.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree on Charlie Pierce. I'm not a big hockey fan but I'll read anything Michael Farber writes. Have always loved Steve Rushin. Michael Rosenberg is excellent.

Skip Hollandsworth and Katy Vine are great feature writers at Texas Monthly. There's more I'm forgetting from there too.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hollandsworth is a great choice.

What's Thomas Lake been up to recently?

3. KVV33

KVV33 Member

Sportswriter division:
    S.L. Price
    Charlie Pierce
    Sally Jenkins
    Spencer Hall
    Brian Phillips

Non-sportswriter division (but still journalism):
    Tom Junod
    Gene Weingarten
    Eli Saslow
    John Jeremiah Sullivan
    Katherine Boo

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Third on Hollandsworth.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

This is a bit similar to what my list would look like. Worked with Jon Heyman when he was just starting out in the business and could tell even then he was headed for big things -- although our boss and many of the high school coaches who had gotten used to a certain style of coverage didn't always approve of his aggressiveness. Lowe also is a favorite.

Quite a few very strong writers in my region, especially those with Miami Herald backgrounds: Hiassen, Barry, Buchanan (for crime reporting and then as a novelist). Le Batard doesn't write for the paper much anymore, but I will make an effort to read him when he does.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hiaasen is always on my list.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Another vote for Saslow. Doesn't matter what he writes about; it's always great.

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

Yes, ditto on Eli Saslow. Laura Hillenbrand. Gail Collins for opinion/essay. Jennifer Gonnerman's also great (not sports).

9. jim lefko

jim lefko New Member

Another vote for Gregg Doyel. Dude is killing it. Took first in APSE column writing last year after short time in Indy. Probably will win again this year.

Tim Stephens likes this.
  10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Five best, any field
    1) Shakespeare
    2) Mark Twain
    3) John Lennon
    4) Charles Dickens
    5) Maya Angelou

11. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

I'll throw out a few more names this way: Would I read it if the story shows up in my social feeds even if I care absolutely nothing about the topic? If I see these names attached to it, the answer is probably. I'm rarely disappointed.

Matt Crossman has a portfolio of great stories on diverse topics. I love to find a surprise, either a story I'd never heard about or some angle on a famous person that has not yet been explored. Matt has a pretty strong track record with those.

Dan Wiederer at the Chicago Tribune is excellent, both on the beat and when turned loose with enterprise.

At the Washington Post, Kent Babb and Rick Maese are superb. Chuck Culpepper too.

Joe Goodman has done some excellent work since moving to Alabama from the Miami Herald, and glad to see al.com let him run with it.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Limiting myself to one SI person so I don't sound like too much of a homer, though one on the list is retired SI and deserves to be on here.

Eli Saslow - brilliant. Remarkably talented

Dennis Lehane - read his books

Tim Layden - I watched every Pharoah race from TC through the summer events and still learned a ton by reading his stuff.

Dan Wetzel - great eye for detail

Gary Smith - the gold standard in my book

Tim Stephens likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted