1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first tie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Pat Schroeder: Now, Senator Gore, your wife Tipper has led the fight to censor offensive rock and roll lyrics and videos. At the same time, you have admitted that while you and Tipper were in college, you smoked pot. My question to you is: What on Earth were you listening to when you were smoking the marijuana?

Al Gore: [ tongue hanging out ] Uh.. Pink Floyd. I was wondering if I could use the rest of my time to express my views on arms control and stronger defense.

Pat Schroeder: I'm sorry, you will have to use your time to answer the question which is posed.

Al Gore: Okay. [ paused ] It was "Dark Side of the Moon". And I've admitted to smoking pot, and a lot of people have made the same mistake, and will never, ever do it again.

Pat Schroeder: Uh.. Reverend Jackson..

Jesse Jackson: Yes, Pat.

Pat Schroeder: You've advocated huge cuts in defense spending - I admire that. But won't that weaken us militarily?

Jesse Jackson: Well, Pat, we have a strong military defense. We have guided missiles, but misguided policies. We have minesweepers in the Persian Gulf, but there's a great need for drugsweepers in the Gulf of Mexico. Economically, we must stop the process of merging, purging and submerging - merging corporations, purging works, submerging our economy. We have in this country welfare and tailcare, when we should have workfare and childcare. From the poorhouse to the courthouse, from the state house to the White House; if not now, when? If not me, who? If not.. I'm sorry, Pat, what was that question?

Pat Schroeder: Senator Simon.. why the bow tie?

Paul Simon: Pat.. my advisorrrs.. have been begging me for yearrrs.. to get rid of the bow tieee. But with Paul Simon, what you seeee is what you get.. and I'm not about to chage my bow tieee to please some media advisorrr. And sooo.. I wearrr.. the bow tieee. And I think the American people want a president who's not afraid to say, "I am who I ammm.. bow tieee and all." [ timer sounds ] Uh.. may I finish? [ Pat nods ] So that's why I wearrr.. the bow tieee. Thank you.

[/crossthread]

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A couple of the local stores around here still make the bag boys wear 'em.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Shit, not around here. It's a free for all. When I bagged groceries, you wore a collared shirt, tie, and pants. End of freakin story. That was the dress code. Along about 1988, we could get away with wearing black Reeboks for shoes.

Of course, I honestly don't remember the last time I saw a kid pushing some old lady's groceries out to her car.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

All I know is that rooting for a tie is like kissing your sister.

Except in the SEC, where it's known as "rooting for a win"

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A clip-on bow tie. They were real big in the early 1960s.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

First tie, like most people here, was a clip on. I want to say I was about eight. Also had the leather zipup tie and a couple of bolo ties. I think I got my first real tie around 14. I wear one a probably three or four times a year, weddings, funerals, important church services, important work functions like covering athletic award ceremonies. I still don't have a clue how to tie a Windsor knot. I do what was called a "hockey tie" back home, when we had to wear them for hockey games. Wrap it around and then loop it through. Nothing too fancy, but if done right is quite passable.

The local junior hokey team had a kid in Grade 12 helping with their game day promotions, and he had to wear a tie for it, still a fucking clip on. At 17 or 18 years old. Kept giving him shit about it, until about half way through the year he finally showed up wearing a real tie.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

My first tie was an ugly red polyester clip on so let's just jump ahead to when I wasn't a little kid and say my first real tie was green and red diagonal stripes. Second tie had Shakespearean verses all over it and is still my fave. Of course I haven't worn a tie in close to five years, so there's that. I just keep them in a case on the shelf in my closet.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't own a bowtie and wouldn't wear one.

I have no recollection of what my first tie looked like. I've owned a lot of ties through the years.

And I always wear my tie in a half Windsor.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

It's been a long time. All I can remember was that it was 90 percent rayon.

Draft saved Draft deleted