1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first 2008 Election Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2008.

?

Who gets your vote at this point and why?

1. McCain-TBA

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Obama-TBA

74 vote(s)
    82.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Obama. Voted for him in the primary.

That there would even be a chance that a McCain term would end up like Bush's two terms makes it impossible for me to vote for McCain.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Obama. I don't have high expectations for an Obama presidency- the economy clusterfuck and the Iraq clusterfuck are both situations where the damage has been done and minimizing it is the best anyone could do. And I agree that people put way too much emphasis on the President's influence and not enough on Congress and other centers of power, both governmental and otherwise. But, yes, Obama. McCain has surprised me with how ignorant he seems about foreign policy. We've had quite enough of that.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Not American. But if I was, I'd vote Obama -- and I tend to lean Republican.

The country needs a change, and every party needs to lose once in a while.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Nothing makes me feel more confident about the outcome in November than to see Obama winning by a landslide on SJ.

Thanks.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Don't let it stop you. I'm sure you can get in line in Detroit or wherever and cast 8 or 10 votes for Obama. Be my guest.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

::)

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Obama.

And it would have been Hillary or Edwards had they secured the nomination.

A major point of the last election was security, because the world has changed. Fair enough.

We've seen how the Republicans handle this world situation, as they wasted their majorities before and after 2004.

I want to see what the Democrats can do. I hope they increase their Congressional majorities, and work with Obama to pursue realistic and attainable goals for the United States of America in the current world situation. Any apprehension I have comes mainly from the possibility that individuals in Congress, from his own party, will treat Obama with jealousy and "You gotta pay your DUES!!!" scorn rather than engaging in dialogue and compromise.

We will see soon enough.

8. I'm undecided still. I voted for Obama in the primary, but I don't lean far enough either way to make a for sure decision.

I'd be content with either one, but I abhor politicians. Like someone said earlier, I think, a few months down the road Americans are going to be pissing and moaning about the president, whoever it is. We're a spoiled country, and that's not changing.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If I'm where I'm at still (first or second reddest state in the country), I may consider voting Green in protest. Obama's too conservative for me, and McCain is a warmonger.

That said, more than likely I'll vote for Obama. Last time I protest voted it didn't end so well.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rumors are rising that the McCain camp is hot on Carly Fiorina, a failed corporate stooge, with no government experience whatsoever, as VP.

She basically ran Hewlett-Packard into the ground with a Singleton/Jelenic-style acquire-like-crazy then slash-and-burn operative philiosophy, before being paid to go away in 2005. Of course, this qualifies her as an "innovative economic thinker" for the GOP.

http://www.alternet.org/election08/81927/

McCain will be 72 on Election Day, and has some health issues. If elected, there's about a 30% chance the GOP VP candidate would become POTUS at some point. What would she do, outsource U.S. citizenship to Bangladesh, lay off 200,000,000 American citizens, and raise the President's salary to $50,000,000,000 a year? That would be in keeping with her performance at HP -- drain the blood from the corpse, and eat all the juicy white meat before you drop it off at the crematorium.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Clearly Obama. The nuts have been in charge long enough.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Obama. What we're living with now is the endgame of the conservative movement. Their ideas don't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.